What's required to use the Next Window Navigation Dialog

Docking/MDI for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 18 years ago by Kasper
I just saw the NextWindowNavigationDialog on the feature pages, and it looks really cool. However, I simply can't get it working in my nearly-finished application. I have tried all the shortcuts to activate it, yet nothing (at all) happens. Do I have to use MDI for my windows or something else? I'm simply using a TabStrip to display document tabs, and then I manage their content my self. I have checked with one of the demos, and I seem to be doing the same things, yet it works in the demo and not in my application. What do I need to check to make this work?

Comments (9)

Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
The DockManager.NextWindowNavigationEnabled property is enabled by default so it should just work. Perhaps you have some a bar control package that is intercepting the keystrokes so the DockManager never picks them up.

Actipro Software Support

Bar control package? I'm only using UIStudio, if that's what you're asking about :)
Did you set up the UIStudio bar controls to have a command with a keyboard shortcut like Ctrl+Tab? If so, that would be intercepting the key that DockManager is looking for. Next Window Navigation looks for Ctrl+Tab, Ctrl+Shift+Tag, Alt+F7, and Shift+Alt+F7. If you have commands set up with shortcuts for any of those, set the enabled property of the shortcuts to false. That will mean that the shortcut will show up in the UI but will not intercept the key.

Actipro Software Support

Hi,

I shouldn't have any conflicting shortcuts. I have checked this by going to the Customize dialog while my app is running, and entering the shortcuts in the "Press shortcut key(s)" field - nothing appears in the dropdown. Doesn't that guarantee that no actions are using the shortcut?
If you have the NextWindowNavigationEnabled on and it still isn't showing then something must be blocking the shortcuts from getting through. Can you make a tiny test project that shows this and email it over so we can debug? Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

Please tell me if I should feel stupid or not right now, but it appears that the SyntaxEditor was stealing the shortcut. If I select another part of the application, I do get the window (only with Tool windows though - I guess I have to fill the Document list manually?). I also guess you can tell me how to solve this little problem best - can I remove the shortcut from the SyntaxEditor or...?

And how do I fill the document list? I looked for an event that would let me do it, but couldn't seem to find a proper one.

[Modified at 09/05/2006 09:00 AM]
Could you send over a simple sample project that shows the issue? I tried something to see if SyntaxEditor was blocking the key but it didn't appear to be.

The document list is filled in automatically based on what document windows are open. So it looks at the DockManager.ActiveDocuments property, which is handled internally and contains the list of all active document windows.

Actipro Software Support

>Could you send over a simple sample project that shows the issue? I tried something to see if SyntaxEditor was blocking the key but it didn't appear to be.

That's really strange, since I can reproduce this problem simply by adding a SyntaxEditor, 2 Tool windows and a DockManager to the form, and I have the problem in my app as well as in the small demo I tested this on. I'm using the latest version, and I also have beta 4 of SyntaxEditor installed, although not using it in these examples. If the SyntaxEditor is active, the navigation shortcuts are all "swallowed". Really strange. If you're not able to reproduce this, I can send you a small app once I get home.

>The document list is filled in automatically based on what document windows are open. So it looks at the DockManager.ActiveDocuments property, which is handled internally and contains the list of all active document windows.

Well, I'm not using MDI, so I don't know how it's supposed to know about my open windows. As I said, I manage open documents my self, since I'm used to doing that. I use a TabStrip for the visual presentation, and each tab contain a reference to an object I use for storing information about each file. Do I need to add them somewhere or what?
Yes please send over the demo project you have that repros it. It's much appreciated.

Unfortunately, there's no manual way to populate the document windows in the next window navigation if you aren't using DockManager to manage the document windows. So I'd recommend turning off the document window display in it by setting the NextWindowNavigationType to ToolWindow since otherwise it will only be empty under the document windows section.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.