DocumentMDIStyle.Standard and TabbedMdiRootContainer

Docking/MDI for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 17 years ago by Anthony Martin
I've set my dockmanager's DocumentMdiStyle to Standard and I have loads of documents that are open. Some of them run off screen and I need to scroll to get to them. I've set up a Windows menu to list all the windows. When I select the menu item, besides activating the window, I'd like to be able to have the DocumentContainer to scroll to it automatically.

I found that the dockmanager has a property TabbedMdiRootContainer and it has a function ScrollControlIntoView. However, my TabbedMdiRootContainer is always null. I've tried to manually set it but it's get only.

Is there another way to perform this function? Am I looking at the wrong property?

Comments (3)

Posted 17 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
TabbedMdiRootContainer is only used for tabbed MDI, not standard so that won't help you here. If anything, maybe try calling that method on the parent Form? Basically standard MDI is using the parent Form as an MDI container and it wraps the DocumentWindow with a MDI child Form. I tried several things but I was unable to get it to scroll into view, even using that method.

I didn't see anything on Google about it either. I did find a post asking the same thing using regular WinForms controls (which is the same stuff we are wrapping) but they never got a reply.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 17 years ago by Anthony Martin
I've noticed what with DocumentMDIStyle.Standard, if I add controls as Documents, the layout isn't saved. If I create toolwindows and dock them within the MDI area, it is.

Is there a way to dock toolwindows automatically within the MDI are? There are certain windows I only want to appear within that area and their layouts need to be saved as well.
Posted 17 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Correct tool windows (if in the MDI area) will get their layout information saved in a tool window layout. Document windows will not since their lifetime is intended to be only while they are open.

By "dock toolwindows automatically within the MDI area", do you mean programmatically placing a tool window in the MDI area? If so then just set its State to TabbedDocument (works for standard MDI too) and then Activate it.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.