DoubleEditBox showing incorrect value when in a DataTemplate

Editors for WPF Forum

Posted 12 years ago by Aled Hughes - Principal Software Engineer, Control Techniques Ltd.
Version: 11.1.0542

I have a DoubleEditBox hosted within a ContentControl via a DataTemplate that exhibits an unexpected behaviour relating to the maximum value when the binding data context for the control is being changed and a binding converter is being used for the Format property. It's a little difficult to explain, but here goes! --

The Format, Minimum, Maximum and Value properties of DoubleEditBox are all set via a data binding to the underlying object and I have two objects as follows:

Object 1: Minimum=0, Maximum=1, Precision=4, Value=0.1
Object 2: Minimum=0, Maximum=0.65535, Precision=5, Value=0.65535

The display of the Edit control is in a ContentControl like this (the original program did more than this of course):

<ContentControl Content="{Binding TheSelectedItem}">
    <ContentControl.ContentTemplate>
        <DataTemplate>
            <ac:DoubleEditBox Value="{Binding Path=Value, UpdateSourceTrigger=PropertyChanged}" 
                Maximum="{Binding Maximum}" Minimum="{Binding Minimum}"
                Format="{Binding Converter={StaticResource ParamterToNumFormatConverter}}"/>
        </DataTemplate>
    </ContentControl.ContentTemplate>
</ContentControl>

The ParameterToNumFormatConverter is basically this in it's Convert method:

return p.Precision == 0 ? "G" : string.Concat("F", p.Precision);

Now if I set the DataContext of the ContentControl to the first object, it correctly shows the value of 0.1000. If I change the DataContext to the second object it now shows 0.10000 instead of the expected 0.65535 value. Strangely, if object 2 happened to have a Value=0.65534 then the problem doesn't manifest itself.

I can kind of mitigate the problem by two means:

• Don't use a DataTemplate (in my program I have many data templates that I switch between at runtime).
  • Put IsAsync on the Value data binding
  • Change the Format binding to use {Binding Precision,StringFormat='F{0}'}

Any ideas on why this is happening? I can send a working test project demonstrating it.

Comments (3)

Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Aled,

Sorry I'm not sure offhand why that would be happening.  Yes a sample project would help.  Please reference this thread in your e-mail to our support address.  Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

Posted 12 years ago by Aled Hughes - Principal Software Engineer, Control Techniques Ltd.

I have raised a ticket for this. Thanks!

Answer - Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Aled,

Thanks for the sample. I believe we were able to find a workaround for the binding timing issues experienced in this scenario. The fix will be in the next build.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 2 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.