Very strange printing issue

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 17 years ago by Colin Blakey - Application Development Manager, Vertex Inc
Version: 4.0.0238
Platform: .NET 2.0
Environment: Windows Server 2003 (32-bit)
We have just upgraded our project from using SyntaxEditor control 3.1.0212 to 4.0.238 and are now having printing issues that did not occur in the previous version.

The issue is that when we print out a page the title and line numbers appear correctly on the page, but the actual page content appears in an inch by inch section in the top left of the page. This issue occurs with Canon (Laser) and FinePrint printer drivers but not with HP (inkjet/laser) printer drivers.

I retested with the old version of our product and it works fine with all printer drivers I could find. I then tested with the sample project and this displays the same issue. The print preview dialog has no issues.

While this would appear to point towards a printer driver issue, this did not occur with the v3.0 version of the control.

Comments (2)

Posted 17 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Colin,

I believe it is due to something with the change in v4.0 to use GDI for drawing text characters vs. GDI+. We would have preferred to use GDI+ but it did not measure/render runs of text correctly whereas GDI does. However GDI+ is device independing while GDI is not. We have code in our printing routines that should be scaling up the GDI text when printing because otherwise it shows up how you describe. But based on what you said, it sounds like for those printers the scale factor is not being determined appropriately.

Can you email us and we can work with you via email to try and resolve this?

Actipro Software Support

Posted 17 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Colin,

Thanks for working with us on this.

For anyone else reading this issue, it is now fixed for the next maintenance release.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.