VS 2012 Designer Rendering Error with Ribbon

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 12 years ago by Rick - Developer, Visual Software Systems LLC
Version: 12.2.0570
Platform: .NET 4.5
Environment: Windows 8 (64-bit)

I've noticed an issue with VS2012 rendering the Ribbon in the designer.  It seems if there's more than one Ribbon:Group in a Ribbon:Tab, the designer throws the error "Object Reference not set to an instance of an object" on the first Ribbon:Group.  However, the project compiles and runs successfully.  I can open the same solution in VS2010 and Expression Blend 4 and do not get this problem. 

Comments (9)

Posted 12 years ago by Adam Davis

I use vs 2012 with it too but don't get that trouble. The only issue I have is screen freezes and lockups for several minutes.

[Modified 12 years ago]

Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Rick,

I'm not seeing that issue in VS 2012 in a simple test I made.  Can you email a new simple sample project showing it to us so that we can debug it?  Please rename the .zip file extension so it doesn't get spam blocked.

Adam, your issue is actually a bug we found in VS 2012 prior to its RTM.  We reported it to the VS team, and back in August they said they fixed it for the first VS update which is due sometime in November-ish timeframe.  The bug was that if a control exposes an ImageSource property in the Properties tool window and the project has a lot of images in the project, the lockup occurs.  Since a lot of ribbon controls have the ImageSource properties in the Common Properties category, they show when getting selected in the designer and trigger the bug.  Unfortunately we're stuck with it until the first VS update is out.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 12 years ago by Adam Davis

Thanks for the reply at least I know there is a fix on the way and that it's fixable.

Posted 12 years ago by Rick - Developer, Visual Software Systems LLC

I emailed a sample project.

Posted 12 years ago by Arthur Damen

I am experiencing the same problem.

The group gives an error during design time.
Nothing in the ribbon is drawn.

I hope there is a solution fast!

Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Rick,

Right now there are bugs in VS 2012 that prevents from debugging this issue. We have been working with Microsoft on these and the VS team has fixed those particular bugs however that update won't be out until the first VS update. So we may are a bit at the mercy of their release schedule on this in terms of being able to really dig into the other issue this thread is about. We will be working on it as soon as we are able to.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 11 years ago by Rick - Developer, Visual Software Systems LLC

Thanks.  Has Microsoft given any indication on when the VS update might be available?  Do you think the VS update will resolve the underlying issue or just your ability to perform debugging on it?

Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Rick,

I just sat down and had a debugging session with a couple VS designer team members and we found the main issue causing this problem. So there are two layers of issues. The first prevents us from debugging the designer code. That VS fix is done but sounds like it might not be out until February. The other problem which causes the one here now has a bug filed and hopefully will be fixed by then too. But in the meantime we have some ideas of things we can try on our end to circumvent the issue. We will try those next week.

Actipro Software Support

Answer - Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Rick,

Based on the info we got from Microsoft sit down session, we were able to work around the issue until they issue a fix.  The workaround will be in the next maintenance release.  Thanks again for the sample.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.