Posted 11 years ago by Flynn Arrowstarr

I'm a huge fan of Programmer's File Editor (http://www.lancs.ac.uk/staff/steveb/cpaap/pfe/default.htm). I haven't had a chance to download and try Code Writer out yet, but I had a couple of suggestions if it doesn't already support these, based on my use of PFE:

• Remember where you were in the file - when closing a file, have Code Writer remember where it was within the file when I re-open it. For example, if I'm on line 186 in the file, have that be the top line in the editor when I re-open the file. I haven't found a syntax highlighting editor that does this yet.
  • Allow for block selection - had a DOS editor that could select an arbitrary block of text and copy/paste that instead of full lines - like a rectangle select in a photo editor. Useful for text-based tabular data.

Anyhow, definitly looking forward to trying this out. Looks very interesting. =)

Flynn

Comments (2)

Answer - Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Flynn,

Thanks for writing.  Both of those things should be in there already although we did discover a crash that can happen when copying the block selection.  We've fixed it for the v1.3 release that we hope to have out shortly.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 11 years ago by Flynn Arrowstarr

Great! Now if I can just find a similar application for my Kindle Fire, I'd be in heaven. =)

I use the features in PFE for programming and also for keeping track of where I'm at in the various games I play and other misc. text files. Pretty important for me. The block selection, not as much, unless I'm writing my own walkthrough or other text file.

One other feature that would be nice is the ability to connect to various small command tools, such as sending an HTML file to the Amazon Kindle processing application. Sending the output back to Code Writer would be awesome as well. Thanks again.

Flynn

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.