Code Writer kinda stops in the side

Code Writer App Suggestions and Support Forum

Posted 11 years ago by paulsk
Version: 1.4.5

The first time I installed Code Writer from the Apps Shop in Windows 8 it worked OK. After a recent update the Code Writer app, after showing the red start screen, stops as if it crashed, but I see it hidden in the left side of the screen. So, it is still running but I cannot get I visual in the normal way.

I checked the screen settings of my two monitors. They are set to their native dimensions. PC i7 (3770K) at 3,5 GHz; 16 GB RAM; video NVIDIA GTX 670 2 GB etc. 

Please your advise.

Paul

Comments (7)

Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Paul,

So you are saying after updating to v1.4 it's no longer able to start at all?  That's odd since I know we've had numerous people upgrade to it successfully already.  Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

Also by "hidden in the left side of the screen" do you mean it's in the list of running apps or snapped view?  When you do try to focus it again, what happens if you do Ctrl+N - does it show the Add Document screen?

Actipro Software Support

Hi ... (Support),

Thanks for the quick reply. I am not new into "computing" but new into Windows 8, so I don´t know yet the meaning of the new names like "charms" etc.

I am able to click on the red tile of the Code Writer app in the charms list to start the app. Then the first window comes up, full red screen with in the middle the Code Write logo. This stays on for a few seconds. Then this screen dissappears and I see the normal Windows 8 start screen (charms list, isn´t it?). When, in a subsequent moment, I move the mousepointer to the ultimate top left corner of the desktop screen, all open apps appear. Among them I see the one of Code Writer. If I click on that, the same thing happens as happened when I started the Code Writer app: the "opening screen" with logo appears for a second or two and dissappears again. Cntrl-N does not have any effect.

Uninstalling and reinstalling did not solve the problem.

Hi Paul,

Just to help out, the Windows start page is what has all the app links in it.  The charms bar is the thing that slides out on the right side of the screen if you mouse up to the upper right or lower right corners (or hit Windows+Z).

It sounds like the app is crashing for some reason on startup for you.  Which is odd since we have it installed on several machines ourselves and haven't seen anything like that.

We use a third party analytics service for reporting exceptions (assuming we can catch them) but for some reason the data there stopped tracking a couple days ago.  We have emailed them to see what's going on with that.  Ordinarily if it was working, we might be able to see an exception for what you are running into.  Or perhaps it's their service that is causing the problem in our app.  We may need to add some more exception handling around calls to the analytics.  We're going to wait to see what they reply and will get back to you.

Actipro Software Support

Thank you. The machine I use, I bought 18 december 2012 in a PC-shop in Lisbon, that assembled it for me on my wishes. The motherboard is an ASUS P8V77-V DELUXE. I have Windows 8 PRO with Mediacenter 64 bit. Running all kinds of software. Several apps from the Windows Apps store, like a dictionary program (from Porto Editora), Skype, Mine for Facebook. Also am able to run Online Games with Steam (MS Flight) for example. But the last ones run in the old desktop, so that is probably no good comparison for you.

I hope this gives you a little more info to work with.

Found here: http://techmell.com/windows-tips/windows-8-metro-apps-working-solution/ some advises. Performed the first two:

1) UAC was in the OFF position (I did that a week ago or so). Swiched UAC back to the default option;

2) Screen resolution. I have 2 monitors attached to the NVIDIA GTX 670 GPU. The main monitor is set for 1360 x 768 pixels. The second monitor is set for 1280 x 768 pixels.

The 3rd advise, to change my user account to "Local account" I did not do because I like the benefits of being logged-in to my Live account after logging in to Windows 8.

After making the changes I restarted also the PC to be sure.

The changes did not make Code Writer to change behaviour.

Hi Paul,

We haven't heard back yet from the code analytics service support.  Hopefully they will reply sometime today so we know why the data isn't showing up any more for the past couple days.  Once we have that data we can examine the exceptions log and perhaps that will help us figure out where something is going wrong.

You shouldn't have to do anything special to get it running though.  Do you have another Win8 PC available to try it on?

One other thing you can try in the meantime.  Uninstall the app then go to this folder and delete it:

• C:\Users\[yournamehere]\AppData\Local\Packages\ActiproSoftwareLLC.562882FEEB491_24pqs290vpjk0

That is where the app data gets stored.  If you uninstall, you might not see that folder at all, which is what I would expect from an uninstall.  But let us know if you still see it after the uninstall.  By clearing that if it does remain, I believe you will have a fresh PC when you reinstall.

Actipro Software Support

Hi Paul,

Did you get to try the suggestion I made?  I'm curious what you saw there.

Our code analytics are back up (they were updating the server before apparently).  From the logs, I can see a couple crashes within the app startup code and can see how if something like that happens (like where the roaming application state failed to load for some reason out of our control), it could skip out to logging an exception and then quitting the app.  That might be the scenario you are running into.

I believe we can improve our error handling code in app startup to improve this.  We will work on this for the next version but please note it may be a week or two before that is ready.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.