Apparent memory leak in MicroBulletGraph

Micro Charts for WPF Forum

Posted 6 years ago by Rory Plaire
Version: 13.1.0582
Platform: .NET 4.5
Environment: Windows 8 (64-bit)

I've been investigating runtime memory profiles in our app, and found an issue which appears come from an Actipro type.

The class `MicroBulletGraph` has a static field of type `MicroChartsLicenseToken`. In the instance constructor of this type, the profiler indicates code similar to the following exists and is run:

if (StaticLicenseTokenField == null)
    {
        StaticLicenseTokenField = new MicroChartsLicenseToken(this);
    }

The problem is the "this" pointer. This roots the instance in a static field and when the control is created and wired up to our viewmodels, eventually a large graph of objects stays rooted from this token referencing the first created `MicroBulletGraph`. We could take pains to sever our links to the control, but it seems that the one instance will stay rooted. I looked to see if any other Actipro control behaves this way, and among the Ribbon and Docking controls I don't see this pattern of a static token instance referencing a control instance.

How can we keep from leaking unused, reachable objects through this `MicroBulletGraph` static field reference?

Comments (4)

I've created a workaround which keeps my app running until this matter is addressed. The licensing appears happy, and there is no more leaking of my view models.

private static readonly FieldInfo _licenseTokenField;
private static Boolean _isLicenseStaticFieldFixed;

static MyMicroBulletGraph()
{
	_licenseTokenField = typeof (MicroBulletGraph).GetField("#vd", BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Static);

if (_licenseTokenField == null)
	{
		throw new InvalidOperationException("Can't find Actipro MicroBulletGraph license token field");
	}
}

public MyMicroBulletGraph()
{
	if (!_isLicenseStaticFieldFixed)
	{
		var singletonGraph = new MicroBulletGraph();
		var token = new MicroChartsLicenseToken(singletonGraph);
		_licenseTokenField.SetValue(null, token);
		_isLicenseStaticFieldFixed = true;
	}
}
Answer - Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Rory,

Thanks for reporting this.  We've fixed it for the next version.

Actipro Software Support

Thanks!

Build 0583?

Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Yes, or the 2013.2 version.  Whichever comes first.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v2019.1 build 0681) was released 9 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.