How to add fonts to the list?

Code Writer App Suggestions and Support Forum

Posted 10 years ago by Aaron W. Hsu
Version: 2.1.12

Is there a way to add to the fonts that are selectable from the Settings for Code Writer? It seems that I only see a fixed set of them, but I have a specific font that I would like to use as my primary font which is not on the list. I'd like to continue using some of the other fonts as backup fonts in case the primary font in use does not support a specific glyph.

Comments (8)

Posted 10 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Aaron,

I don't believe Microsoft provides a way for us to enumerate fonts on a system so we just list the most common ones.  We don't have a way to select any alternate ones.

Actipro Software Support

I believe that I have seen some apps allow the user to enter the name of the font manually. Would this be a possibility?

I added your request to the TODO list.  Which font is this by the way, and is it a common one?

Actipro Software Support

Thank you for that. Unfortunately, the font is common only in a particular group. It is the APL385 Unicode font and a custom font that I use in addition to that font. The APL385 Unicode font is very common to see in a particular programming community, but otherwise does not see a lot of use outside of that community.

I do not know if this is related to the Windows 8.1 update or note, but I just noted that there is an app called "Notepad Classic" which allows me to select any font that I want to use for the editor. I think that Code Writer ought to be able to do this as well, and I hope that this can be achieved in short order.

Hello, we searched again and there still doesn't seem to be a native .NET way of enumerating system fonts, which is silly in our opinion.

We did find a possible workaround where C# developers have to call into a library written in C++, since C++ DirectX does allow for enumerating fonts.  That's the only workaround we seem to be able to find and it's very hacky.  But perhaps we can use that in the future to get access to the fonts list.

Actipro Software Support

Thanks for this. I guess if that is the only way to do it then that does sound quite hacky. I decided to take a look at this as well, simply because it really does seem too stupid not to allow one to enumerate fonts. I found System.Drawing.Font as I'm sure you have, but it seems that this is not among the "approved" namespaces that are available for use in Windows 8 Store Apps. That's quite a bummer.

I'm actually okay with you just allowing for a list of fonts to be given in a text field separated by commas as an alternative to a main font list. I hope that MS can improve the story here soon.

It is rather silly that a simple thing like font enumeration isn't available.  If you'd like to post in their forums about this issue, and send us a link, we will be glad to back you up there.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.