Optimize syntax editor

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 17 years ago by Manel
Some of my customers are experiencing a very bad performance with the control. The bad performance is expderinced even when using the plain text language. Making a dedicated lexer or parser doesn't speed up things. They state they have to wait about one or two seconds to see a single letter when they are coding. This is something that has to be fixed somehow. I would like to know if there's any way to speed up things easily. Previous versions of my IDE (before working with syntaxeditor) worked much more CPU friendly. They used a control called compona syntaxbox, that is no longer developed and no longer available for .net 1.1 or even .net 2.0 (that's what I'm writing it, as it is not a comercial competitor for you).

The main problem I have is that I'm losing customers. I would like to know if there are any plans on optimizing this particualr issue, as other syntax controls, that maybe have less functionality, perform much faster. I get at least 5 emails a day telling me this CPU issue and I can't say nothing to them, to arrange it.

I would like to know if I can make any change to improve performance, maybe disabling any function like tab spaces being shown or something could speed up things.

any suggestion will be more than apreciated.

Thanks!

Manel Ibáñez

[Modified at 02/19/2007 04:41 AM]

Comments (2)

Posted 17 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Are you editing huge files like over 20MB? Have you tried turning Document.LexicalParsingEnabled and SemanticParsingEnabled to false? We can work over email with you more on this if you want.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 17 years ago by Manel
I will try disabling lexical and semantic parsing, but disabling lexical parsin will turn off the syntax hilighting, won't it? and the semantic parser will disable the outlining?

I would like to send you a copy of my IDE, but this IDE needs the BlitzMax compiler (wich is comercial) to run. I will ask the BlitzMax creators if they could let me send you a copy of the compiler and my IDE, so you can see how it performs, and you can tell me, by seeing the things my IDE does, if there's something more I can turn off to speed up things.

Anyway, we can continue this by email.

many thanks for you support.
The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.