.bat and .cmd scripts syntax?

Code Writer App Suggestions and Support Forum

Posted 10 years ago by Luca

Hi, I installed this app and I love it. I often use .html and Javascript. Another language that I'd like to see is the .bat and/or .cmd.

Some people (like me) use .bat scripts a lot. For exemple, I write a lot of BATCH scripts. I'd love to be able to write, compile and debug them directly from this app instead of using that awful notepad. Thanks if You will accept my idea! Love this app, good job! :-)

Comments (2)

Posted 10 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Luca,

We're glad to hear you like Code Writer.  While we could add syntax highlighting for .bat/.cmd files, please note that due to security restrictions, we can't register Code Writer as being an editor for those file extensions in Windows.  That means that I don't believe you can set them up for Open With editing from the desktop.

Also note that Windows Store apps can't execute arbitrary files (such as executables) on the local machine, again due to security restrictions.  So while you could use Code Writer to edit batch files, you can't run them from within the app.

Another note is that if you go into our Settings right now and go to the File Types section, you can set up the Text file type to support .bat/.cmd editing.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 10 years ago by Luca

Another note is that if you go into our Settings right now and go to the File Types section, you can set up the Text file type to support .bat/.cmd editing.

That works perfectly. I found a way to save and run the script at the same time.

It was possible thanks to Windows 8. You have to "split" your screen, keeping the Code Writer on the left and the desktop on the right. This is the result and it's pretty awesome. This is just an idea for users that need to write batch scripts like me! :-)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.