List of problems, and wishes.

Code Writer App Suggestions and Support Forum

Posted 10 years ago by unihorn - Moscow. Russia
Version: 2.2.13

There are no Copy and Paste buttons at toolbars (there is only Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V that isn't always convenient, and on tablets (on which the virtual keyboard) it is problematic, though it is possible).

It is impossible to replace the code page of already open document (not for the separate file, not for all opened (in tabs)).

There is no search-replacement at once in all open files (in tabs).

It would be desirable to have opportunity to open in Code Editor files of subtitles (srt, ass-ssa, etc.) for the elementary editing.

It would be desirable (if it is possible) supports of *.bat and * cmd.

It would be desirable to have opportunity (via the Share button) to send web page contents from ModernUI IE (in a consequence it is possible to add viewing of resources, the web console, and similar).

If it is possible to make, then to give the chance to users to add additional extensions of files with which it will be possible to connect Code Editor (an example: to add (in settings) srt (for example in "open the following files in Code Editor"), and srt will appear in the list of "supported formats" (for "Open In..." file managers)). And, it is desirable to synchronize, then, such between different computers on one account of microsoft.

Best Regards.

PS.

Forgive for bad English. I am Russian. I use the program the translator.

Comments (8)

Posted 10 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello,

1) We will consider adding clipboard operations to the app bar somehow.  But also note that in touch mode, you can tap the text selection grippers to show a context menu that has the clipboard operations on it, so the app bar commands aren't necessarily needed.

2) Thanks for the suggestion for editing the code page of the currently-open document.

3) Thanks for the suggestion on searching in all files.

4) You can add them as file types that can be opened by Code Writer via the File Types portion of the Settings.  However adding custom file extensions for a file type there only affects the in-app Open and Save dialogs, and doesn't affect the Windows desktop.  Unfortunately due to security reasons, Microsoft blocks Windows Store apps from being able to register themselves as being editors for .bat and .cmd file types.

5) You are asking for preview of web files (like HTML) in an IE instance, right?

6) Per #4, you can already add custom file extensions to file types that will affect the in-app dialogs.  But for custom flie extensions to be registered for Windows desktop, they need to be set up by us prior to deploying the application, since they become part of the application's manifest that is built at compile time.

Actipro Software Support

1) We will consider adding clipboard operations to the app bar somehow. But also note that in touch mode, you can tap the text selection grippers to show a context menu that has the clipboard operations on it, so the app bar commands aren't necessarily needed.

Code Writer is very quite good and for Desktops, but on the right click of a context menu isn't present.

If there is a context menu not only on tablets, then buttons on panels won't be necessary.

The truth (in case of a context menu) there can be problems with panels (top or bottom: they can block the text), and whether there will be a context menu convenient in these conditions (Desktop condition) to me it isn't known...

5) You are asking for preview of web files (like HTML) in an IE instance, right?

I speak about it (as far as it is possible):

In Modern UI IE of it isn't present (Modern UI IE the interesting and convenient browser (at least for me), and it will be useful).

To make it (as far as possible) via the "Share" button (as "a plug-in for the browser" (Modern UI IE) :) ).

And additional opportunities (a web the console, viewing of resources, etc.) to add as far as possible (everything that it is possible to add).

6) Per #4, you can already add custom file extensions to file types that will affect the in-app dialogs. But for custom flie extensions to be registered for Windows desktop, they need to be set up by us prior to deploying the application, since they become part of the application's manifest that is built at compile time.

Clearly... :(

Then add support of files of subtitles for the elementary editing (srt, ass-ssa, etc.)... That it was possible to open from file managers...

It is possible to add and support of syntax of subtitles (but it isn't obligatory).

And support of syntax of bat-cmd (in spite of the fact that registration is impossible), will be all the same useful. 

Best Regards.

[Modified 10 years ago]

Hello,

1) Actually we have added context menus for the editor for the next version.  They will open when you right click over the editor.

4) Do you mean that you want Code Writer to declare itself as a share target so that apps (like IE) that might be able to Share HTML content could send it to Code Writer as a new document?

6) I'm not sure what subtitles are or what file extensions they are.  Please give exact details and specifications about them, or point us to a URL that talks about them.

I will log your request for batch file types.

Actipro Software Support

4) Do you mean that you want Code Writer to declare itself as a share target so that apps (like IE) that might be able to Share HTML content could send it to Code Writer as a new document?

For a start, to send a HTML code of the web page to Code Writer.

And in the future (as far as possible) to add to it additional tools for work with this code (viewing of resources, etc.).

To make shown by an arrow on a screenshot (on the example of Google Crhome (there everything is clear (IMHO))).

To make it of Code Writer.

If for this purpose it is required to create the new document then it is necessary to create the new document (moreover: otherwise it is impossible (IMHO)).

It is desirable to do it both with all web page, and with its separate, allocated, elements.

Certainly if it is possible to make it.

1) Actually we have added context menus for the editor for the next version. They will open when you right click over the editor.

Thanks.

I wait it.

At present the context menu (or the buttons "Copy" - "Paste" on the panel) on Desktop isn't present (the right click).

And it is necessary.

6) I'm not sure what subtitles are or what file extensions they are. Please give exact details and specifications about them, or point us to a URL that talks about them.

Ммм...

IT?

SRT:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=470941#post470941

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.srt#SubRip_text_file_format

ASS-SSA:

http://www.perlfu.co.uk/projects/asa/ass-specs.doc

http://aegisub.cellosoft.com/docs/ASS_Tags

http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/subtitles/ssa.html

Best Regards.

[Modified 10 years ago]

6) For the subtitle files, thanks for the info.  To summarize, please let me know if this would help you out, and if it is correct:

• We add .srt file extension as another supported extension for the "Text" file type.
  • We add .ass and .ssa file extensions as another supported extension for the "INI" file type.
  • We register Code Writer as supporting the three extensions above so that Windows desktop can use CW to edit them.

Actipro Software Support

6) For the subtitle files, thanks for the info. To summarize, please let me know if this would help you out, and if it is correct:

We add .srt file extension as another supported extension for the "Text" file type.We add .ass and .ssa file extensions as another supported extension for the "INI" file type.We register Code Writer as supporting the three extensions above so that Windows desktop can use CW to edit them.

Yes. Thanks.

The truth for srt and ssa-ass is better to create separate group: "Subtitles" (it is more logical, IMHO)... But to you (as speak in Russia) more visible. Therefore make as you consider it necessary.

Best Regards.

[Modified 10 years ago]

My point is that the .srt files seem to not really be highlightable so they could fall into the plain "Text" file type, and the other two seem to follow "INI" file type syntax highlighting so they would be appropriate to be part of that file type.  We have to group file extensions together that have the same syntax highlighting and other features.

Actipro Software Support

But to you more visible. Therefore make as you consider it necessary.

I wait next release. Thanks.

Best Regards.

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.