Force tabs to line up in the editor?

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 10 years ago by James Sconfitto - Exele Information Systems, Inc.
Version: 14.1.0321

I'd like to know if there's a way that i can force tab stops to always line up no matter what font is set for the editor. i'll try to show you what i mean, because i'm not sure how to describe it well...

Our old application used to default to Arial for editing code (not a monospace font like it should have been), so our customers would line up their text by tabbing. After tabbing in our old editor (not Actipro's syntax editor), the caret would always end up on the same column position across multiple lines. Now i'd like to see if it's possible to let our old customers continue using Arial to allow their code to line up like it used to (even though it's not as good for editing code) and still use tabs to line up their code. The issue is that tabs across multiple lines don't always end up at the same column depending on what text is typed before on the line.

Here's a picture showing how text after a tab on our old editor would line up: http://imgur.com/4794ruB. The blue arrows points to a space, the red arrows point to tabs, and the black (not very straight) line shows that the "A" characters line up exactly after a tab.

Here's a picture of how the actipro editor handles this scenario: http://imgur.com/qqR2Ly9. Whitespace is shown so i don't have to draw. Notice that the "A" characters after the tab do not line up.

Both editors have the font set to Arial - Normal - 10pt.

Is there a way for me to get the actipro editing control to tab to the "exact same" column? (i know it's not the exact same column, but i'm not sure how to describe that.) Can i emulate this old behavior somehow? i haven't found a good solution for this on my own.

i'm not saying that Actipro handles this situation wrong, by the way.

Comments (2)

Answer - Posted 10 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi James,

Thanks for letting us know about this.  We will get it fixed for the next build.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 10 years ago by James Sconfitto - Exele Information Systems, Inc.

Thanks for the quick response! i'll look for it in the next build.

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.