What are your future plans?

Code Writer App Suggestions and Support Forum

Posted 9 years ago by Dušan Janošík
Version: 2.4.15

Hi,

what are your future plans for the Code Writer application? Is there any roadmap? Will you update UI to work better with Windows 10? Would you consider to make it open source?

Thank you!

Dusan

Comments (4)

Posted 9 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Code Writer is a side project app that is mainly geared to show off how our commercial WinRT/XAML UI control products can be used.  With how Windows 10 is changing things for the better and supporting windowed mode, we're not confident that AppBar-based panes (such as those used currently in CW) will work as well in that scenario.  We're open to any UI changes you have for supporting document and toolbar access that is more pointer friendly in a Windows 10 context.

We are currently working on some new controls for WinRT that we think could possibly be integrated into CW in the future to help in this regard.

Making the app open source is always something we've also considered.  It takes some time and planning to do so, which we haven't done as of yet.  Making that move depends on how much interest there is in the community to help out.  Were you interested in contributing?  What sort of features would you like to work on adding?

Actipro Software Support

Yes, I realize that CW is a side project. But I believe it's not just me who thinks it's a very good (if not the best) code editor for Windows. I use it every day. And I've tried many of other editors, like Intype, Notepad++, Sublime, Brackets, etc. They are either not in development, have legacy and ugly UI, are written in some sort of Nodejs/HTML/CSS madness - or all of this at the same time. I am quite sure Code Writer deserves more attention.

Well, I have my own closed or open source side projects. But I would be interested in contributing. Actually I was thinking of creating my own code editor many times. But I never did this, because I don't want to develop it from scratch and I don't want to be the only developer working on such a project. The other problem is that I am not willing to buy commercial UI controls just to create an open source project.

I were not thinking about features I would like to work on, but the following came to my mind:

1. desktop-friendly UI inspired by Office Preview and Brackets editor,
  2. preview for markdown files,
  3. spellcheck.

Do you have anything more to say?  

Posted 9 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello, nothing more to add at the moment other that the above.  Feel free to post suggestions and we'll be happy to brainstorm them with you.  The more detail the better!

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.