Parser generator AstNode inheritance

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 12 years ago by David Chang - Software Engineer, a.i. solutions, Inc.
Hi,

I am using Parser generator to create a parser for our product.

In it we have several flavor of variable declaration statement.

To make sure we don't carry too much information, I created the most general variable declaration statement class and have the more specific ones subclass from that.

So we have the following definition:

<AstNode Name="Statement" IsAbstract="true" Description="The base class for a statement." />

<AstNode Name="VariableDeclarationStatement" Inherits="Statement" Description="A variable declaration statement.">
                <AstNodeProperty PropertyType="AstNode" Name="Type" Type="ObjectType" Description="The object type." />
                <AstNodeProperty PropertyType="AstNode" Name="Name" Type="Identifier" Description="The object name." />
                <AstNodeProperty PropertyType="Simple" Name="IsGlobal" Type="bool" Description="Is the object global?" />
                <AstNodeDeclarations Type="Constructor"><![CDATA[    

/// <summary>
                    /// Initializes a new instance of the <c>VariableDeclarationStatement</c> class. 
                    /// </summary>
                    /// <param name="objectType">The object type.</param>
                    /// <param name="objectName">The text of the qualified identifier.</param>
                    /// <param name="isGlobal">Is the object global?</param>
                    /// <param name="textRange">The <see cref="TextRange"/> of the AST node.</param>
                    public VariableDeclarationStatement(ObjectType objectType, Identifier objectName, bool isGlobal, TextRange textRange) : this(textRange) {
                        // Initialize parameters
                        this.Type = objectType;
                        this.Name = objectName;
                        this.IsGlobal = isGlobal;
                    }

]]></AstNodeDeclarations>
                <AstNodeDeclarations><![CDATA[    

/// <summary>
                    /// Gets text representing the node that can be used for display, such as in a document outline.
                    /// </summary>
                    /// <value>Text representing the node that can be used for display, such as in a document outline.</value>
                    public override string DisplayText {
                        get {
                            return Type.Text + " " + Name.Text;
                        }
                    }

</AstNode>

<AstNode Name="VariableObjectDeclarationStatement" Inherits="VariableDeclarationStatement" Description="A Variable object declaration statement.">
                <AstNodeProperty PropertyType="Simple" Name="IsConstant" Type="bool" Description="Is the object constant?" />
                <AstNodeProperty PropertyType="AstNode" Name="Expression" Type="Expression" Description="The expression assigned to the object." />
                <AstNodeDeclarations Type="Constructor"><![CDATA[    

/// <summary>
                    /// Initializes a new instance of the <c>VariableObjectDeclarationStatement</c> class. 
                    /// </summary>
                    /// <param name="objectType">The object type.</param>
                    /// <param name="objectName">The text of the qualified identifier.</param>
                    /// <param name="isGlobal">Is the object global?</param>
                    /// <param name="isConstant">Is the object constant?</param>
                    /// <param name="expression">The expression assigned to the object.</param>
                    /// <param name="textRange">The <see cref="TextRange"/> of the AST node.</param>
                    public VariableObjectDeclarationStatement(ObjectType objectType, Identifier objectName, bool isGlobal, bool isConstant, Expression expression, TextRange textRange) : this(objectType, objectName, isGlobal, textRange) {
                        // Initialize parameters
                        this.IsConstant = isConstant;
                        this.Expression = expression;
                    }

</AstNode>
Where VariableDeclarationStatement inherits from Statement and VariableObjectDeclarationStatement in turn inherit from VariableDeclarationStatement.

When I put the generated code into my application and compile, I got the following compilation error...

Error    1    'Aisolutions.FreeFlyer.Classic_Project.Input.Ast.VariableDeclarationStatement' does not contain a definition for 'VariableDeclarationStatementContextIDBase'    D:\FreeFlyerNG\sourcecodecsharp\FreeFlyerGUI\Classic Project\Input\Syntax Editor\FFSemanticParser.cs    2547    123    FreeFlyerGUI
The reason for such problem is that VariableDeclarationStatement class does not declare VariableDeclarationStatementContextIDBase for its subclass as Statement class would:

protected const byte StatementContextIDBase = Aisolutions.FreeFlyer.Classic_Project.Input.Ast.AstNode.AstNodeContextIDBase;
Since I try to change the generated code as little as possible, I would like to find out how to take care of this case in parser generator itself.

Please help......

Thanks!
David

Comments (2)

Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi David,

Right now it's only generating the ID base constants for non-abstract AST nodes. I've changed the code so it will work for all nodes in the next maintenance release.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 12 years ago by David Chang - Software Engineer, a.i. solutions, Inc.
Thanks!
The latest build of this product (v2018.1 build 0341) was released 10 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.