Themes for Windows 10 / Excel 2016...

WPF Studio, Themes, and Shared Library for WPF Forum

Posted 9 years ago by keepITcool - Amsterdam
Version: 15.1.0622

Hi guys,

I'm currently testing on a VM with all the latest goodies from Redmond... win10/vs2015/xl2016

A few observations:

a) Actipro setup does not install toolbox items and templates for VS2015(rc).
(this was easily copied over from another machine with vs2013)

b) I'm not yet seeing any theming updates or announcements related to win10 or office 2016.
Now this is important to us!  Our main product is an Excel addin that's carefully styled to mimick the excel version it's running in. Office 2016 preview has 4 themes that we will need to implement.. and implementing a custom metro based theme is a bit cumbersome as it can't be viewed in the designer...

So..  

Is Actipro planning to release new themes and will that include metrobased Office themes and when can we expect (pre-) release?

If there won't be any official Office themes would someone be willing to cooperate with me on creating the custom themes/assets?

Best wishes and greetings to all,

Jurgen

[Modified 9 years ago]

Comments (9)

Posted 9 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Jurgen,

Thanks for writing, we haven't updated the controls for VS 2015 support as of yet but that will be coming.

At the moment our primary new development focus is getting our Docking/MDI vNext updates completed for a v2015.2 release.  Please see our blog for details on the many large new features that are part of that.

After that we will be working on other areas and themes are something we plan on looking into.  By the way, if you ever want our default Metro themes, just write us and we can send you the files.  You can use those to see what we have set and can customize them however you need.

Actipro Software Support

I realize that you're occupied with Docking vNext, but that shouldn't mean you can ignore maintenance on existing products when Microsoft releases new versions of Windows.. Alas, I'll have to wait untill 2015.3 or later.

a) I've got a small project demonstrating how to get the designer to display Metro themes... Are you interested?

b) Can you send me the Metro Themes files?

Jurgen

PS:  

Just noted some issues:

build 622: LunaNormalColor theme seems same as LunaHomestead. Copy/paste error on your build machine?

vs2015 (RTM due July 20th) has a new XAML editor..  But theme changes in the xaml are not reflected in the designer. E.g. changing themes:ThemeManager.DesignModeTheme="Classic" to "LunaMetallic" has no effect until closed and reopened. Worse: my neat trickery to display Metro won't work in neither vs2015 nor blend2015. Arghhh ;-)

Hello,

We are continuously doing maintenance and just put out maintenance releases about three weeks ago.  I was only saying that major new development will come after the Docking/MDI vNext beta is out.

Sure if you'd like to send what you have over, please email our support address, reference this thread, and be sure to rename any .zip file extensions you send so they don't get spam blocked.  Also request the Metro themes in your email and we can then reply with them.

As for the luna themes, normal color and homestead have a lot of the control colors in common (they do in the system themes), but when you have things like window frames or our docking windows, you see the blue and green differences clearly.  How long do you plan on supporting XP?  We are going to drop the Luna themes at some point since XP support ended months ago by Microsoft.

For the design mode, that probably is an issue with Microsoft's code only loading resources the first time and isn't anything we can control.  We do trigger the app's Resources updates when you change that property but the VS designer must not know to completely refresh itself.

Actipro Software Support

It's now two months later.

Build 623 solved the VS2015 issues...but I'm still desperately waiting for modern theme support.

Ofcourse I realize that your theming support is based on tinting.. nice.. but maybe not ideal with metro/modern UI where we (your end user/us developers) need to set backgrounds and accents colors.. I'm a developer for Office apps so what I need (rather urgently now) is modern Office Themes, fully adapted to Office 2016 official themes. And preferably adapted to switch Accents to Excel's Green, Word's Blue and Note's Purple....

I remember the enormous effort of reverse engineering the correct green hues to use... Base tint calculate Hue.. multiplied by.. X etc etc

I don't want to go that route again.

Please, please, please!  

Greetings from Amsterdam, Jurgen Volkerink

Hello, we want to add those newer Office theme headers too since we do like that look.  We have to get the Docking/MDI vNext done first though, which has been a massive undertaking.  The good news is that we are getting closer now and are working on code refinements and testing at this stage, as most major new features for the first release of Docking/MDI vNext are in place.

Actipro Software Support

Great! You'll add them since you like the look of 'm? 

Reminder: We pay maintenance fees...  

Jurgen. 

Themes updates is high on our TODO list, after we get past Docking/MDI vNext and a couple other things that have already been started.

Actipro Software Support

Office 2016 release date is in 1 week..   I started asking about this TWO months ago... and all I've been hearing is Docking, Docking Docking.  

I'm not impressed. Not at all.

Jurgen

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.