Support for remote file edits via SFTP

Code Writer App Suggestions and Support Forum

Posted 8 years ago by Morten Mortensen

Hello,

I just recently got forced back onto the Windows platform when I got a new job and IT by default gave me a Windows 10 laptop. 

I do a lot of work coding mostly jajascript, but Python and Perl does happen too, and was looking for a editor that supported a lot of the usual file formats like JSON and so. Code Writer does just that and it seems to work well even though I have only used it for a couple of days now.

One thing I do miss is a facility to log into a remote server via SSH (SCP or SFTP), access a file and then pull that file back to the Code Writer app, edit it and then push it back to the server via the same SSH connection with some versioning logic built in. Essentially a remote edit support via SFTP.

I know I could install a CIFS server on the host I'm working on (in this case a Ubuntu server) and then share the filesystem but I really don't want to do that on  a production system due to the overhead and security aspects of running CIFS on your network. Access to the servers is via SSH so it would be great if Code Writer could do that for me without me having to pull the file back manually, edit it and the push it to the server again.

Would that be possible?

Comments (1)

Posted 8 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Morten,

We don't currently have remote server access built into the app itself.  I will log your request.  That being said, if you have access via the system, such as via a mounted drive, you should be able to access the files.

Could you possibly use a utility like SFTP Net Drive to mount a drive to your remote server?  There are probably other options out there, but that's the first one I came across.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.