Undo Track change indicator behavior

SyntaxEditor for WPF Forum

Posted 8 years ago by James Zheng
Version: 16.1.0632

Hi Actipro,

I encounter issues with the track change indicators, which I couldn't understand why it behaves that way. Below are the steps to reproduce:

1. Navigate to Sample project '\\ntaxEditor - Demos\SDI Code Editor (Inline)'

2. Enter character 'A' in line 4. Observe the yellow indicator appears.

3. Save the document. Observe the indicator changes to green.

4. Replace character 'A' with 'B' in line 4. Observe the indicator changes to yellow.

5. Save the document. Observe the indicator changes to green.

6. Replace character 'B' with 'C' in line 4. Observe the indicator changes to yellow.

7. Save the document. Observe the indicator changes to green.

8. Undo the change once. Observe the text change to 'B' and no indicator appears. ??

9. Undo the change once. Observe the text change to 'A' and no indicator appears.

10. Redo the change once. Observe the text change to 'B' and green indicator appears. ??

11. Redo the change once. Observe the text change to 'C' and green indicator appears.

Expected result:

It's expected that the same type of indicator should appear when the text lines are at the same undo state. In the step 8 and step 10 above, the text lines are at the same undo state, but one is showing no indicator while the other is showing green indicator. In fact, yellow indicator should appear instead of green one, since the state of the text line is different from the state of the text line when it was last saved in step 7. In Visio Studio, orange indicator is used.

I've sent you a seperate email titled 'State machine diagram for undo track change indicator (Reference 23517)' with a Visio state machine diagram showing the preferred behavior. Please let me know if it's acceptable or you could send me an overview design of the undo/redo track change, so that I can review it within my development team.

Thanks and regards,

James Zheng 

[Modified 8 years ago]

Comments (4)

Posted 8 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi James,

We are aware of these sort of issues in the current design of the change tracking.  Ideally it should work as you outlinined in your diagram.  We are currently working on trying to reimplement that feature area (started on it last week) to achieve that.  We will test it with the cases you've outlined in various related support threads once we are further along in development of it.  Please note that this is a very complex feature area so it's not a quick or easy change to make.

Actipro Software Support

Hi Actipro,

Thanks for the info.

I'll base on the diagram for my test case creation. Please let me know if there are difficulties implemeenting some of the cases, so that I can communicate it to the development team early.

Thanks and regards,

James Zheng

[Modified 8 years ago]

Answer - Posted 8 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi James,

As you know already know, but for the benefit of others reading this, the latest maintenance release has completely reworked the line modification marks to fix past issue and also added reverted change (orange mark) tracking.

http://blog.actiprosoftware.com/post.aspx?id=45e93abd-4afd-4323-bd84-ac303cbc2956

Actipro Software Support

Hi Actipro,

I've been using it without issues. Thanks again for the great effort in the update.

Regards,

James Zheng

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 21 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.