Decouple/Isolate lexing/parsing/ast from UI

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 8 years ago by Ian Davis
Version: 16.1.0330

Is there any way to separate the UI from the underlying lexing/parsing/ast framework? I'm trying to create a reusable component for language parsing and analysis and I don't want the baggage of the associated UI framework. This also applies to the WPF implementation as I have to use both.

Comments (3)

Posted 8 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Ian,

Both SyntaxEditor versions allow you to create documents programmatically (without a SyntaxEditor control instance) and set their syntax language and text.  Then you can get parse data results from that, all without ever making a UI control instance.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 8 years ago by Ian Davis

It is more the hard dependency on the UI library itself. Dealing with tokens, text ranges, and ast nodes all makes sense. But having a huge UI library dependency doesn't make sense.

Thanks,

Ian

Posted 8 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Yes, when we rewrote the product in our newer WPF version, we separated out everything.  The WPF version has various Text.* assemblies that have no WPF UI dependencies.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.