Decouple/Isolate lexing/parsing/ast from UI

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 3 years ago by Ian Davis
Version: 16.1.0330

Is there any way to separate the UI from the underlying lexing/parsing/ast framework? I'm trying to create a reusable component for language parsing and analysis and I don't want the baggage of the associated UI framework. This also applies to the WPF implementation as I have to use both.

Comments (3)

Posted 3 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Ian,

Both SyntaxEditor versions allow you to create documents programmatically (without a SyntaxEditor control instance) and set their syntax language and text.  Then you can get parse data results from that, all without ever making a UI control instance.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 3 years ago by Ian Davis

It is more the hard dependency on the UI library itself. Dealing with tokens, text ranges, and ast nodes all makes sense. But having a huge UI library dependency doesn't make sense.

Thanks,

Ian

Posted 3 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Yes, when we rewrote the product in our newer WPF version, we separated out everything.  The WPF version has various Text.* assemblies that have no WPF UI dependencies.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v2018.1 build 0341) was released 10 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.