DocumentWindow.Title no longer shown after OS Theme change

Docking/MDI for WPF Forum

Posted 2 years ago by Bill Dines
Version: 16.1.0632
Avatar

We use the MDI/Docking functionality of actipro and have recently upgraded to 2016.1.

This seems to have introduced a bug where DocumentWindow titles are no longer shown in tabs or on the document list menu after an OS Theme change - something that doesn't happen in the old version (2014.2).

This is actually more serious than it sounds as many of our users access the application through a remote desktop client and this can easily trigger a Theme Change event from the OS as follows:

  • Start a remote session and run the application
  • End the remote session, leavng the application running
  • Start a new remote session - at this point the OS will issue a theme change event to running applications.

After a themchange, all DocumentWindow titles dissapear.  Even new documents do not show their titles.

If I look at the DocumentWindow objects in the debugger, the DocumentWindow.Title property is set to the correct string (we do this in code, not with a databinding) it just isn't displayed.  If we change it to something else it still isn't displayed.

So far I have only been able to get Titles working again (without restarting the application) by using the DockSiteLayoutSerializer to serialize the current layout to a string, close all the windows, then deserialize the layout back into the DockSite.  After doing this everything works again!  

So, I do have a REALLY UGLY hack to fix it by running the serialization/de-serialization on any ThemeManager.SystemThemeChanged event, although even that is not enough on its own - you have to wait a couple of seconds before doing it or it won't work!

Note that we do not really care about supporting different themes and don't have any code or xaml in our application related to themes.

I have tried to reproduce the problem with a simpler application, but no luck yet.  If I do I will post the code.

I'm keen to find a more robust fix to this asap, so any help would be very much appreciated.

thanks

Bill

[Modified 2 years ago]

Comments (3)

Posted 2 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Avatar

Hi Bill,

We haven't had any other reports of that thus far.  Can you link to a couple screenshots showing what you see (before/after) and are you able to repro it in our samples, like our main v2017.1 Simple IDE demo?


Actipro Software Support

Posted 2 years ago by Bill Dines
Avatar

Hi.  I've just upgraded to 2017.1 (we were using 2016.1), and the problem has gone away, so that is a good solution for us!

I wasn't able to reproduce with your samples even in 2016.1 so it must be related to how we are using the control - unfortunately its not a simple task to recreate this in a basic application, but its probably not the most common way people use it (lots of code behind and even events are used to set the title text).  Even though this is a bit unusual, it does seem like the bug is in the Actipro control rather than our code.  This is because you can see in the debugger that the Title property IS set to the correct value.  You can even set it to something else and the titles still do not appear. 

FYI, a screenshot of the issue in 2016.1 is available here.

Posted 2 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Avatar

Hi Bill,

It might have been something we changed and resolved in a later 2016.1 maintenance release.  Anyhow I'm glad 2017.1 fixed it for you!


Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v2019.1 build 0681) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.