Posted 7 years ago by Chuck Phares
Version: 2.5.16

The share to OneNote Charm, I am not sure it is working properly for me.  I get to the panel where it shows the document name and contents and I can add a note.  When I press Send, the share charm closes, I never see the document in OneNote.  I suspect that there is supposed to be another step to determine which notebook in OneNote receives the share? Or how is it supposed to behave?

Thanks!

Comments (4)

Posted 7 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Chuck,

I just tried it here and it seemed to work.  At the top of the OneNote share dialog (where you saw the note name and contents before hitting Send), there is a dropdown that lets you pick a notebook.  It went as a new page in the notebook section I selected, which was Quick Notes.  

Microsoft is responsible for the content of that OneNote dialog though.  We just pass along the title and text content.

Actipro Software Support

I have gotten a real education on this stuff today.  It turns out that there are two OneNote on my WIndows 10 machine.  One is the Metro OneNote from the Windows Store and the other is OneNote 2016 desktop app. Additionally, I am using Edge as the browser.  Once I started the Metro version of OneNote, I then could see the Drop down in the Share Charm, although I could not change the location. The key is that the share charm is talking to OneNote the Metro app, not OneNote 2016 the desktop app.  Once I went into Metro OneNote I could find all of my shared documents.  MSFT really could do a better job of making this even more confusing and difficult to use.  It doesn't seem like they are applying all of their skills and talents developed over these many years...

Oh, and also, forget about using the OneNote web-app to cut and paste code snippets.  Something in the rendering of the text in the browser interface clobbers the text it looks like space characters are no longer the tried-and-true ascii(32) space character, nor are the period characters a period any longer.  From the desktop app it seems to work ok, but the browser based app is right out.  < Sigh > Apparently adding features for developers is out of scope.  Read a forum post where MSFT said they were not interested in supporting the needs of software developers in OneNote.

Posted 7 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Ugh that certainly is annoying.  I'm glad you solved what was going on though.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.