Open file error with custom encoding options

Code Writer App Suggestions and Support Forum

Posted 6 years ago by Ian Wang
Version: 2.5.16

After automatically updated to 3.0, I found that the UI has all changed which is quite nice. However, when I tried to open a file, it shows a message box with the following content:

Document open error

- drv_spi.h: 'gb2312' is not a supported encoding name. For information or defining a custom encoding, see the documentation for thew Encoding. RegisterProvider method. 

Parameter name: name

After some attempt I found that all choices in the Encoding option will cause an error except Auto Detect. I mainly view files that are encoded in GB2312 so that function is important for me. Thanks.

[Modified 6 years ago]

Comments (4)

Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Ian,

That's odd... I don't believe we really changed anything in the encoding area for v3.0, as we mostly focused on UI.  You are saying the same file did open ok in v2.6? 

Can you upload this file somewhere and post a link to it so we can try to open it and see what you are seeing?

Actipro Software Support

It's all normal on the preinstalled version in Win10(I didn't pay attention to version number and now I even don't know how to downgrade in Microsoft Store), but today I found it updatedautomatically. And I don't really think file matters because as long as the Encoding option is not Auto Detect, open any file will cause the error. The file I tested with can be downloaded below. Thanks.

https://mega.nz/#!Qeg1yIbA!KmJRNofZ7_8LC1BJ0euxxCyb_hrr6RSfbrmtkSIvcR8

Answer - Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Thanks for reporting this Ian. After digging on the web (since none of our code changed in this area), we found that Microsoft obscurely stopped carrying encoding data with every UWP app. We now have to specifically register to get encoding data whereas in Windows 8.1 apps, we didn't. We have fixed this and will push out a new 3.1 build.

Related articles I found are:

[Modified 6 years ago]

Actipro Software Support

That seems like where the problem is. Thanks.

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.