Posted 8 years ago by Stefano
Version: 2.5.16

Hi, use your app Code Writer on a pc with Windows 10, I used notepad ++. With your app I have encountered a problem that does not recognize automatically some editable files. Java files with extension: ''example. PROPERTIES'' and lua with extension: ''example. CFG". Even in the "open with " voice I can't open it with code writer, but every time I open the app, then select the path and then open the file's "properties or cfg". Is there a solution or will be posted in the future this features?

Thanks

Stefano

Comments (10)

Posted 8 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Stefano,

Do you mean that you would like any files with .properties (like "foo.properties") or .cfg (like "foo.cfg") extensions to open as plain text in Code Writer?  If you go to the app's Settings / File Types / Text (click the ">"), then you can add file extensions to open under that file type.

Actipro Software Support

Thanks for answer. I just tried it, I plugged the two values, but the system does not recognize the file to be read with code writer.

When you say the system, do you mean outside of the app, such as in Windows' Open With, or when you do "Browse" from within the app itself?  The steps I said above would get the Browse working within the app.

Actipro Software Support

do you mean outside of the app, such as in Windows' Open With

Yes. outside of the app, ''Open with" this procedure don't work.

Ahh yes that is because for any Windows Store app to support "Open with", we need to designate all the target file extensions at app compile time.  That's a limitation of the Windows Store.  We can mark down to add those in a future version.  Would they map to plain text?

By the way, if you are interested in giving feedback for the next version of Code Writer being written for Windows 10, please join our Slack team and go to the #codewriter channel.  We are posting screenshots and asking for feedback there.  We also now have a @CodeWriterApp Twitter feed.

Actipro Software Support

ok, thanks. i hope in the future features.

Sorry, but i don't use the slack.

Posted 7 years ago by MHamilton

I want to second this feature: Windows should be able to associate codewriter with arbitratry extension.

It would be nice if CodeWriter could add custom extension in the registry and associate it with codewriter.

As a work-around: I tried to create a "CodeWriter.cmd" that I can select as the program to open the file with. However. I didn' manage to create a "start" commandline that will invoke the codewriter app with a specified file as a parameter.

I'm trying "start codewriter:D:\Temp\Trial.xxx" but that will just open the most recent opened file, no the one specified.

Is there a special commandline keyword that needs to be used to pass the filename to open?

Posted 7 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Please tell Microsoft to add support for arbitrary file extensions to certain apps.  The only way we could ever do it is if they improve Universal Windows Platform with that feature, but they likely view it as a security risk.

For opening Code Writer with a specific file, check out the F1 help and scroll to the Protocol Activation section.  It tells you how in there.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 7 years ago by MHamilton

Missed that section completely! Great work.

Indeed, it works only for the documents that have once been opened with CodeWriter... Not very practical.

I guess that indeed we should spam Microsoft to add arbitraty extension support for apps. At least it should be possible to add a kind of "trursted" extension or file type - to- app relation.

Thanks anyway.

Answer - Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello, we're finally close to releasing an enormous update to Code Writer, one designed with a new Windows 10 interface.  This 3.0 version will have .cfg and .properties files as built-in file extensions so they work with 'Open With".

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.