KeyTipService.IsKeyTipScope

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 7 years ago by Bjørnar Sundsbø - Norway
Version: 17.2.0662

Hello,

I'm having a problem using KeyTipService inside of a DocumentWindow. I don't know if the functionality is implemented in a way to make it possible, but would like some input.

Inside of a DocumentWindow, I would like to have a separate scope. If user press Alt/F10 while it has keyboard focus, I would like to have parts of my UI light up with Key tips in the same way as the ribbon does, but I don't want the ribbon tabs KeyTips to light up. If I go somewhere where I don't have a KeyTipScope, I want the ribbon to present tips. For example, being able to switch between tabs using KeyAccess would be convenient, rather than having to toggle through the Switcher. 

I've tried putting a button with KeyTipText inside of a DocumentWindow, but it does not show up. I've also added KeyTipService.IsKeyTipScope on the usercontrol being presented in the DocumentWindow.

Is it possible to accomplish what I'm trying to do? Perhaps I haven't thought through the scenario well enough when it comes to what I really want to do, but for now I'm just checking on the possibilities.

Bjørnar Sundsbø

Comments (4)

Posted 7 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello,

The KeyTipService is designed to work with the Ribbon and its hierarchy of controls.  Unfortunately I don't believe there's a way for you to use it external of the Ribbon hierarchy.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 7 years ago by Bjørnar Sundsbø - Norway

Oh, That's a bummer. If you can think of something, I'm all ears.

Bjørnar Sundsbø

Posted 6 years ago by Bjørnar Sundsbø - Norway

Is this something you might consider implementing, possibly as part of the Shared library? Similar to KeyTipService, but with a twist.

Consider this thread as a visual example. Since I'm working within a document (browser tab), and I'm now entering data into the text box. Also assume that the previous posts in this thread are other scopes that I want to toggle between for quick editing. Pressing Alt would highlight key tips for the previous post (numbered 1-3), and endering 2 would turn the second post into edit mode, and move focus there. Commands would decide what will be done when I enter 2, and possibly an exit command for the scope I'm currently in (Add a comment box).

I would imagine this could be quite benefitial to a lot of registration systems, where one is not necessarily required to enter data in a specific order, and Tabbing through controls would be way too tedious.

As mentioned in the initial post, quick navigation between documents using i.e. Alt + Shift + G would activate my GMail browser tab/document.

Bjørnar Sundsbø

Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Thanks for the suggestion.  You could probably achieve something similar right now using WPF Label controls and giving each label a Target as described in this post:

https://wpf.2000things.com/2013/06/10/838-using-a-labels-access-key-to-give-focus-to-another-control/

That would allow you to press Alt+(key) and have it go right to a certain control.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 3 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.