How to use an URL in the ScreenTip?

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 6 years ago by Dmitry B.
Version: 17.2.0665

Is there any way to implement the screentips like e.g. in MS Word 2016? There's a help hyperlink in the Word's screentip footer, clicking on that opens a help page.

With a custom control template, I've been able to implement a visible hyperlink in the ribbon's screentip. However, I cannot click on the link, because when I move the mouse cursor out of the screentip's owner element trying to reach the link, the screentip disappears (even if the mouse cursor is over the screentip).

Comments (6)

Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Dmitry,

No I'm sorry... as you saw, the screen tip will close when you move outside of the target ribbon control.

Where do you see that kind of thing in Word if I may ask?

Actipro Software Support

Hi!

Actually, all the screentips in MS Office 2016 support that. Some of them have no additional help reference, but some provide a link that can be activated via mouse click.

Here's a screenshot:

9d83e6f6c1dbd162572ec94239555b5d.png

Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Dmitry,

Thanks for the screenshot.  That seems to be newer functionality in Office.  We don't have that ability but we do allow you to set the ScreenTipHelpUri attached property.  If that is set to a non-null value, the screen tip will show a help icon and text to tell the user to press F1 for help.  Then you can handle the ApplicationCommands.Help command in your Window and check the ScreenTipService.CurrentScreenTip property to see if there is a screentip open.  If there is, look at its ScreenTipHelpUri property for an indication of which help topic to display.

Actipro Software Support

Hi!

Yes, currently we're using the functionality you described, it works. But we would like to make our app Office-like.

Do you plan to implement this maybe in some future release?

Answer - Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello,

We will write down the suggestion.  It will have to be prioritized with other work.  Unfortunately this wouldn't be an easy update since it would require some fairly large infrastructure changes to our ScreenTipService to delay closing of the screen tips to see if the mouse ends up over one at the end of a timed delay.  And then tracking the mouse to see when it exits the screen tip bounds to kick off yet another timer for checking to see if still has left the bounds.  All of that would add a lot more complexity to screen tips for such a relatively small end user feature.

Actipro Software Support

Alright, thank you for the feedback!

Well, Microsoft has implemented this for some reason. Maybe they will update their Ribbon guide too, and that feature will become a common one.

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.