TaskBoard - freezing the items

Views for WPF Forum

Posted 6 years ago by Ralph
Version: 17.2.0665

Is there any way of preventing TaskBoard items from being dragged?

I'm thinking about using TaskBoard to implement a queue of items to process.  I would like all already processed items and the item which is currently being processed to be frozen (but still Enabled). The user should only be able to reorder the items which are still waiting.

BTW, I love the way the items move, it feels so natural.  Good job!

Comments (11)

Answer - Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Ralph,

We're glad to hear you like the control!  There are TaskBoard.CanColumnsDrag and CanCardsDrag properties.  Those affect things at a high level.

If you want more fine-grained control over the ability for a column or card to be dragged, there are TaskBoard.ColumnDragging and CardDragging events.  Those fire when the related UI item is about to be dragged and a handler of those events can set e.Cancel = true to prevent them from dragging.  That should work for your needs.

Actipro Software Support

Fantastic!
I think my company is going to upgrade our Actippro subscription to include the Views very soon :)

One more question: is it possible to move the cards programmatically?  I mean: to animate a card moving from one location to the other within a column?

Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Ralph,

If you modify the column/card model, it should reflect in the UI.  While it won't fly the cards between the two columns, it might do some subtle column-based card remove/add animations.

Actipro Software Support

I think card remove/add animations should do.
Thanks a lot!

Posted 6 years ago by Cory J. Geesaman

Related to this, is there a way to get at events for when something is being dragged (after the start of the drag and before the drag stop?)  Especially for the effects of dragging columns or cards which cause other columns and cards to move (e.g. if a card shouldn't be allowed to drop in a specific column, I'd like to stop the animation from it pushing cards in that column from occurring - even though I can block it from actually happening it still shows the items in the "locked" column moving.  Additionally, I have a vertical separator made of a modified column model and it's easy enough to get it and everything to the right or it to just not be draggable - but I'm not able to find any events which allow my to stop the animations where the implemented behavior ends up (e.g. if I have 5 columns, the third is a separator and the last two are locked, then I drag the first column far to the right I can see it previewing as columns 2, 3, 4, 5 but it should allow me to intercept that event and prevent it from going past 2.)

Dear Actipro, here is a feature request!

It would be nice to have an official way of freezing cards/columns so that they not only can't be dragged, but also other cards/columns can't be inserted between or past them. 

I desperately need such a functionality in my piece of software: ability to freeze n cards from the beginning or n cards from the end preventing them from being dragged and also preventing other items from being inserted between or past them.  There are so many scenarios when it would be useful.

[Modified 6 years ago]

Posted 6 years ago by Cory J. Geesaman

Honestly, I think just exposing the events would be enough.  Niche features might be a bit much to ask of them but exposing the underlying events and internal functional aspects required to properly intercept them should be expected, since that's a part of basically any control.

Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello,

I wanted to post a status update that we are looking into adding ColumnDragOver and CardDragOver events that will support e.Cancel.  Setting e.Cancel = true would basically prevent the slide animation.of target columns/cards.  We'll post again once we have another status update.

Actipro Software Support

Brilliant!

Answer - Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Thanks for helping test the new events Cory.  They have been merged into the main branch and will roll out in the next maintenance release.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.