Select and drag a document window

Docking/MDI for WPF Forum

Posted 6 years ago by Moondance
Version: 18.1.0671

Good morning.

Some of our testers and users complain that when they have multiple document windows open, when they single click on one somehow a drag operation is detected and the window becomes undocked. I am not really seeing this on my system (actually I see it very rarely so I do not consider it an issue) and I think it might depend on the user and/or the mouse. Some users seem to run into this situation very often.

My question is: Is there a way maybe though a style to increase the drag movement for documentwindows so that this does not happen so frequently for some people? Or do you have any suggestion?

Thanks

Comments (3)

Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello,

I'm assuming you are referring to document windows in tabbed MDI in the primary dock host within the dock site.  And are you sure you're on the latest version/build?  Your original post indicates you are.

In the latest codebase, it looks like you must drag at least 10 pixels from the start point.  After that, if there is a single tab OR if there are multiple tabs and you drag at least 10 pixels outside of the tab area of the container, it will start an "external" drag, which is effectively the normal docking window drag logic.

10 pixels is already a relatively large area, since drags in most controls start at half of that.  We might have increased the minimum drag distance at some point over older versions though, which is why I asked if you are on the latest.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 6 years ago by Moondance

So sorry, the version is 2017.0661.

Does this change your answer?

Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello,

Looking back at that version's source, it appears to also require a 10px minimum drag, and for the mouse to go at least 10px outside of the tab area if there are multiple tabs.  Given that size (which is about the same as what Visual Studio does), it shouldn't be easy to accidentally trip a drag operation.  If you are seeing trouble with accidental drags, then perhaps it's some scenario that I'm not trying.  Please try and give exact instructions to repro it.  Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 2 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.