Arranging ToolWindows in the Designer

Docking/MDI for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 17 years ago by Lisa
Version: 2.0.91
I'm using the VS2005 forms designer to try to add a new tool window to an existing form that already has two tool windows on it. I can add the tool window just fine, but when I try to drag it to an existing tool window's location so that they can be tabbed on top of each other it doesn't move. In fact, I can't move any of the tool windows by dragging with the mouse. It's been awhile since I created this form, but I don't recall having this much difficulty in the past. Am I missing something obvious here?

Also, there is some annoying behavior when it comes to deleting tool windows in the designer. If click "Remove Tool Window" from the properties page, the selected tool window is deleted without problem. However, if I select the tool window in the designer and press the Delete key, I get the following error messages:

"An error occurred while processing this command. Value cannot be null. Parameter name: components"

"Cannot access a disposed object. Object name: 'ToolWindowContainer'."

Then Visual Studio proceeds to shut down. Is there a different way this could be handled that wouldn't cause VS to crash?

Thanks,
Lisa

Comments (4)

Posted 17 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your bug report. It appears that a change in a recent build broke the designer drag/drop functionality. We've fixed this for the next maintenance release.

For the other problem, we've looked into it but were never able to figure out how to prevent the Del functionality from breaking down the designer. So unfortunately you'd just have to continue using the Remove Tool Window verb instead of the Del key.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 17 years ago by Lisa
Thanks, I'll watch for the next release!
Posted 17 years ago by Cecilia Tufvesson
Hello!
We're using the VS2005 (ServicePack 1) forms designer and adding a tool window to an existing form that already has 6 toolwindows. Version of UI Studio: 092.
That works fine, it’s added in the left corner and the designer is still possible to open after that.

But when dragging the toolwindow inside another one, so they are tabbed, the designer is no longer possible to open.
The code “works” in that sense that it compiles and when run the layout looks as expected.
But when trying to open it in the designer, it always fails:
C++ CodeDOM parser error: Internal Error
at Microsoft.VisualC.CppCodeParser.OnMethodPopulateStatements(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.CodeDom.CodeMemberMethod.get_Statements()
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.TypeCodeDomSerializer.Deserialize(IDesignerSerializationManager manager, CodeTypeDeclaration declaration)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.CodeDomDesignerLoader.PerformLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager manager)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomDesignerLoader.PerformLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager serializationManager)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomDesignerLoader.DeferredLoadHandler.Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextManager.Interop.IVsTextBufferDataEvents.OnLoadCompleted(Int32 fReload)

Do we drag around the window faulty someway? Or have me missed some other obvious things?
If needed we can supply the two h files, one that works in the designer and one that doesn't.

Br,
Cecilia
Posted 17 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Cecilia,

Please download the latest maintenance release to see if that helps (one came out yesterday)
and if not, email us a project that contains the working form and a non-working form.
We're not aware of any code serialization issues at this time.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.