Minimized ribbon pop-up issues at the edge of the screen

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 5 years ago by Greg Kilmatead
Version: 18.1.0675
Platform: .NET 4.6
Environment: Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

When a minimized ribbon's pop-up is being displayed in a window that is not completely on the screen, the pop-up is missaligned and it looks unappealing that happens.
I have uploaded a video demonstration and here's the link: https://imgur.com/Y8H8mMM
(sorry, I see no attachments feature to upload directly to the forum)

Is there a fix for this?

Thank you!

[Modified 5 years ago]

Comments (6)

Posted 5 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Greg,

That's a tricky one and is a bit out of our control.  We use the standard WPF Popup control to show the collapsed group popup, and unfortunately that has built-in logic to always force itself fully-"onscreen".  In cases like this we'd love to be able to disable that snap to screen behavior, but Microsoft doesn't appear to have an option for that in WPF at this time.

Actipro Software Support

Hello,

I hope you don't mind that I make a comparison to DevExpress's Ribbon control, looking at their demo they seem to have the same problem, but their pop-up doesn't get displayed outside the parent window.

I am guessing that the pop-up width is calculated to be the width of the window minus the offset.

Would you think that it's possible to adjust the template/style of your ribbon's pop-up to do the same?

I must admit that it might be rare for a user to minimize the ribbon and then show its popup while the window is off screen, but it might happen more often with dual-screens (which is how I discovered that this is happening) where the window is displayed in the area between two screens; and when that happens, it would look a bit unprofessional to a client user which might have a similar setup.

Thank you for the reply.

Posted 5 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Greg,

I agree it's not an ideal way for the popup to display in this uncommon scenario.  The problem is that the Popup is completely defined in XAML and doesn't have any code-behind tied to where it displays.  

Are you saying that their popup gets resized to a smaller width but part of it appears within the proper location under the ribbon instead of getting slid left/right by Microsoft's WPF Popup logic?

Actipro Software Support

Hello,

Their pop-up does get shifted left or right or even shown only on the monitor that contains most of the window width, but it never gets displayed outside the window borders.

I've recorded a short video using their demo to better illustrate: https://imgur.com/a/LbrLz1r

Answer - Posted 5 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Greg,

Thank you for the info.  We will mark it down as a feature request.

Actipro Software Support

Thank you!

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.