ShellTreeListBox will not expand Network node

Shell for WPF Forum

Posted 4 years ago by Brett Burgeson
Version: 19.1.0685

To keep this simple I am using the folder browser in the sample application that gets installed with Actipro. 

When I try to expand the Network node it does not show anything visible on my network. I also tried calling SelectItemByFullPath with a valid network path but that also does not populate and expand the Network node. Calling SelectItemByFullPath with a local path on my C: drive does expand and select the tree item corresponding to the given path.

Is there a property or other method that I need to call to make this work?

Thank you,

Brett Burgeson

[Modified 4 years ago]

Comments (3)

The standard Windows FolderBrowserDialog will expand the tree node corresponding to a network path when I set SelectedPath. If I do not set SelectedPath then the Windows FolderBrowerDialog also will not expand the Network node when I try to expand it. This behavior is the same between the Windows FolderBrowerDialog and the Actipro ShellTreeListBox.

Posted 4 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Brett,

Hmm, that's odd.  I wonder why expanding Network isn't (at least eventually) bringing anything in.

We've noticed that Network nodes tend to come in asynchronously after the rest of the shell object tree is quickly loaded.  We don't do anything special to cause that, it's just how the shell returns them to us.  When we go and query child shell objects, most shell objects return child shell objects quickly.  Searching Network nodes can be very time consuming so Microsoft generally trickles them in as they are discovered via instead of immediately upfront.  We have a watcher that tries to watch for changes to the shell tree you are viewing, and that's generally where Network child nodes get picked up by our control.  When I expand Network here, I see child shell objects pop in a second later.

The WinForms FolderBrowserDialog is calling into fully-encapsulated native Win32 code for everything, so we can't tell what is going on behind the scenes in that scenario when you set SelectedPath.

Actipro Software Support

Thank you. I'll give it more time to see if something finally populates.

[Modified 4 years ago]

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 2 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.