Long delay to open file with Code Writer

Code Writer App Suggestions and Support Forum

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was before this thread was created.
Posted 2 years ago by Lee Churchill
Version: 4.2.42

When I try to open a file there is an long delay (approx 2 minutes) to populate the screen with a folder (Explorer) to select a file.  This is just happened in the past few months.  I usually experience an immediate response.

Is there a reset I must attempt?

Comments (3)

Posted 2 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Lee,

That's odd, we haven't heard of that happening and it all opens right away for us.  The API we call there to show the file open dialog is a standard Microsoft API.  This is immediately seen every time between when you press the Open button and when the file selection dialog appears?

If it is happening in that spot, my guess is there's something in your Windows shell that the built-in file open dialog is having a tough time enumerating quickly for some reason.  I'm not really sure what to suggest other thing seeing if you can think of any drives or other things in your Windows shell that might be causing it.

Actipro Software Support

I too am baffled.  However, I have come up with a new hypothesis: it is the Run Time Broker causing the delay.  I will run further tests to see if Run Time Broker is the culprit.

I think I have discovered (and now solved) the problem.  My laptop was set up to index way too many files.  This was robbing too many resources while attempting to open files for Code Writer.  I have completely dis-abled the indexing feature and now all is back to normal.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.