Code Writer > Languages/Parsing > JSON -- Updating JSON parsing/validation rules

Code Writer App Suggestions and Support Forum

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was before this thread was created.
Posted 2 years ago by Martin - London

Hi Actipro,

First of all, I want to say that I really like the Code Writer App. It's a really nice editor with a clean, unintrusive UI and useful (but seemless features) like document formatting, language validation, etc -- so overall, great job!

One minor problem I have however is...

• I am using Code Writer to modify the VS Code settings.json file
  • Microsoft's settings.json file allows (and really requires in some places) comments
  • Microsoft incude comments themselves in the file
  • However, the Code Writer language validator struggles to parse this file (and similar ones) - warning that it is essentially broken and unparsable

Idea / Request...

• Is it possible please to adjust the JSON parsing rules (possibly allowing a second option, and/or a settings toggle to "allow comments" on/off to allow comments if they are present (and essentially ignore these, parse the file as if they weren't present)
  • Alternate thoughts - I see Code Writer supports .json and .jsonc files -- In my case I need to keep the file as .json (as otherwise VS Code wouldn't find it), but is there an option to tag the file as if it were .jsonc(?)

PS - I know about the large debate about comments but don't want to go into that here! 🙂

Dabbler developer, most likely found bashing my head against a wall trying to mess around with Microsoft 365, SharePoint, PowerShell, VBA, CMD, JavaScript, CSS, XML, JSON, AutoHotKey, RegEdit, NirSoft

Comments (1)

Posted 2 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello,

Thank you for the suggestion.  We will work on adding optional comment lexing in the next major version of our SyntaxEditor product that Code Writer uses.

Then that feature could flow into Code Writer.  It might be easiest to just allow comments with our default JSON file type in Code Writer since it sounds like some .json files will have it in there and others won't.

Actipro Software Support

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.