No such interface supported error. Opening HTML file on a network Windows 11.

Code Writer App Suggestions and Support Forum

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was before this thread was created.
Posted 2 years ago by Brandon Hollingsworth
Version: 4.2.42

When trying to open a HTML document on a network drive in Win 11 by double clicking, it gives a No such interface supported error.  If I go through Code Writer and open it, no problems.  If I change my default program to Firefox, double clicking the file works.  And finally, if I move the file off the network onto local, file also opens without any problems.  Interesting issue, not sure where the bug is but it feels like Win 11 + Networked folder + Code Writer = nada.  LMK if you figure out anything.  Thanks and appreciate.

Comments (5)

Posted 2 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Brandon,

Hmm, that's odd.  I was able to go to a network share "\\mycomputername\folder" and right click on a HTML file and say Open With / Code Writer.  Code Writer opened the file successfully and without any errors.  I am also on Windows 11, latest build.

UWP (the Microsoft UI platform Code Writer is written in) has always had some tight security sandboxing in certain areas, the file system being one of them.  But in general, if you are telling Windows to open the file with an app like Code Writer, those security restrictions should be removed.  Unfortunately I'm not sure what to suggest here since we can't reproduce it.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 2 years ago by Brandon Hollingsworth

No problem.  I can't think of any other reason why it would cause issues.  Any other program I use to open the file works and Code Writer opens it fine if it's off of another computer on the domain or if I open it through the program vs double clicking it to open.  Weird.

Posted 2 years ago by Matt Woznicki

Hi there,

Just wondering if you ever came up with a resolution to this issue, even though it was posted a while ago.  It just started happening to me as well and I can't explain why it happened.  I have the exact same set of issues that Brandon described when opening file types on network shares in Code Writer.  Interestingly, it started happening while I was editing code one a few days ago.  For about an hour I was opening, editing, and saving files with no problems at all, then all of the sudden (no restart, update or anything that I'm aware of happened), when I went to open and edit a different file, I get the 'no such interface supported' error.  Like Brandon said, if I launch a file on the local drive, there's no issue and if I open the network files directly with Code Writer rather from file explorer, also no issues.  Very strange indeed.   I wasn't working on or doing anything else in the background at the time, so something seems to have changed all on its own.  I went into the Windows Store to see if a recent update to the app might have broken something (thinking maybe the update had taken place in the background while I was working) and the app doesn't show up in my library in the store at all, even though it's installed on several of my PCs, so I can't see when it was most recently updated.  Running Windows 11 22H2, build 22621.521.  If having any other information would be useful, let me know.  I'm happy to help troubleshoot.

Thanks for your help and for a great app.  I love using Code Writer!

Posted 2 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Matt,

Sorry but I don't think anything has changed on our end that would have caused this.  Unfortunately it seems to be a lower level framework issue in Windows or UWP than what our code really can control.  I tried doing some searches to see if I could find anything related to UWP apps like ours and this error but not coming up with anything meaningful so far.

We still use an older Universal Windows platform and Windows target version.  I wonder if upgrading that in the future would help with this, although we want to make sure we minimize blocking users on older Windows versions if we do upgrade our targets.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 2 years ago by Matt Woznicki

Thanks for writing back and I'm sorry that it's taken me so long to write back as well.

I tried doing some searching as well and also didn't come up with anything useful from the user's end that would fix the issue.

Perhaps moving to targeting a newer version of windows would help, but I understand not wanting to leave people on pervious versions behind. For now, Code Writer is still opening files from the file explorer as expected on my computers running Windows 10 and on Windows 11 I can still open Code Writer first and use its file picker to open my projects, so it's not the end of the world. Just thought I'd check to see if you had any other info.

In any case, thanks for the response and for the time you spend developing Code Writer. I use it all the time and think it's great, so I appreciate the work that goes into maintaining it.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.