Box Plot calculations & formation

Micro Charts for WPF Forum

Posted 2 years ago by Devin Phinney
Version: 22.1.1

I would like to use box-plots to display granular data in aggregate form.  Once a boxplot is calculated and displayed, I would like to store off the 8 values available in the tool-tip, then use those to recreate the box-plot at a future date when the granular data is no longer available.

Question 1:  can I access programatically the values calculated for tool-tips?

The 8 values in the tool-tip that are of interest are (taken from the Actipro doc on boxplots)

Format Parameter Description
{0} The minimum value.
{1} The lower whisker value.
{2} The lower quartile value (Q1).
{3} The median value (Q2).
{4} The upper quartile value (Q3).
{5} The upper whisker value.
{6} The maximum value.
{7} The mean value.

Question 2:  Can I then use these values to recreate the boxplot at a future time?  It is much less overhead to store 8 doubles than the 1000 or so datapoints that create the boxplot. 

Comments (1)

Posted 2 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Devin,

Unfortunately the ToolTip is passed a lot of internal data values from the box plot plotter (an internal type) that isn't made public.  The ToolTip update is the only time the MicroBoxPlot control accesses those data values.  The box plot plotter constructs all its data values (e.g. average) based on the original MicroBoxPlot.Values collection, so sorry but there isn't a way to reconstruct the box plot using predetermined resolved values.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 2 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.