QuickInfo tooltip not shown for members or generic arguments

SyntaxEditor .NET Languages Add-on for WPF Forum

Posted 2 years ago by Tobias Lingemann - Software Devolpment Engineer, Vector Informatik GmbH
Version: 22.1.1
Platform: .NET 4.8
Environment: Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have noticed that the quick info tooltip is not always shown.

The documentation is shown correctly in the intelli prompt while typing, but not when hovering with the mouse over the code. It also works for local variables, but just not for paramerts.

public static void Call(List<string> collection)
{
  Console.WriteLine(collection.Capacity); // NOK
}

public static void Call<T>(List<T> collection)
{
}

public static void Call()
{
  var list = new List<string>();
  Console.WriteLine(list.Capacity); // OK
}

Best regards, Tobias Lingemann.

Comments (4)

Posted 2 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Tobias,

I'm sorry but I'm seeing quick info show up for the Capacity property when mouse hovering in all three cases.  Here is the full C# document I tested with in our sample:

using System.Collections.Generic;

public class Program {

public static void Call(List<string> collection) {
	}

public static void Call<T>(List<T> collection) {
	}

public static void Call() {
		var list = new List<string>();
		Console.WriteLine(list.Capacity); // OK
	}

}

This was tested with v22.1.2.  If you still see an issue when testing our document above with that same version, please give us exact steps to reproduce it in one of our samples.  Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

Posted 2 years ago by Tobias Lingemann - Software Devolpment Engineer, Vector Informatik GmbH

Okay, this is weird. The problem only occurs in my setup if the class is called "Tester". If I rename the class, everything works fine.

It looks like there is a collision with a namespace, that has the same name.

To reproduce the issue you can name the class "Microsoft". The tooltip for the class also refers to the namespace. In this case the C# compiler doesn't report any errors or warnings. I have tried other names like "System" or locally defined namespaces, which isn't allowed. But it looks like when the namespace isn't used in your code, the class name is valid.

Posted 2 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Yes, thanks... the root cause seems to be the class/namespace name conflict not resolving as expected.  We have made a code update for the next maintenance release to address this.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 2 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.