Refresh PropertyGrid lose the SelectedItem

Grids for WPF Forum

Posted 2 years ago by Guillaume Guimond-Croteau
Version: 19.1.0687

I have a boolean property that changes the availability of 2 other properties based on the result. These properties need a PropertyGrid.Refresh in order to be seen or hidden, but each time I call the refresh, the SelectedItem is set to the top first item of the grid that is not a category property and I lose all expanded arrows.

Is there a way to keep the SelectedItem and the expanded arrows after the PropertyGrid.Refresh? Am I doing this correctly in the first place?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

Posted 2 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello,

We don't have anything that persists the expansion/scroll state at this time.  Have you seen our PropertyGridDynamicProperties QuickStart?  It shows one way of achieving properties that can show/hide based on something else, and without doing a Refresh call.  This allows state to be retained better.

Actipro Software Support

I just saw that this example is not categorized. By making is categorized and setting the Orientation to its own category, I now have an empty category when Orientation is hidden. Is there a way to also hide the category when all its childs are not visible? 

Answer - Posted 2 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hiding categories isn't in the sample, but I'd think you could use a similar concept where:

• In the PropertyGrid XAML, you would set CategoryStyle to a Style that targets grids:PropertyGridItem, which is the "row" in the property grid.  And have a similar Visibility Setter.
  • Make a CustomCategoryModel class that inherits CategoryModel.
    • Add a nullable isVisible field like in CustomPropertyModel.
    • Add an InvalidateIsVisible method like in CustomPropertyModel.
    • Add an IsVisible property that if the isVisible field is null, will loop through Children and examine each one.  If each child is a CustomPropertyModel and has IsVisible=false, then you know there are no children so update the isVisible field to false.  Otherwise, make it true.
  • In CustomDataFactory, override CreateCategoryModel to make an instance of CustomCategoryModel.
  • In CustomPropertyModel.InvalidateIsVisible, look at its Parent and if it's a CustomCategoryModel, call the parent's InvalidateIsVisible method.

The idea is that category models can then indicate their visibility based on at least one child being visible.  I hope that helps get you going!

Actipro Software Support

The base style was lost while defining the CategoryStyle, is there a way to use the base style and add the Visibility setter to it? I would like to keep the default category actipro look

Answer - Posted 2 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Unfortunately you'd have to clone our PropertyGridCategoryItemContainerStyle from the default Styles, and base it on that.  If you have a WPF Studio license, then the default Styles and templates will be downloadable from the organization account page, right where the license is obtained.

This brings up a good pain point though for extending category styles.  We will add a ComponentResource key for the next version so that you'll be able to reference our default style externally to base yours on it, using this:

{StaticResource {x:Static themes:GridsResourceKeys.CategoryPropertyGridItemStyle}}

Actipro Software Support

Great, I solved my issues thanks to your answers. Thank you!

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.