Code Writer sticks for ages on startup with "Preparing to reload previously open documents..."

Code Writer App Suggestions and Support Forum

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was before this thread was created.
Posted 10 months ago by Matt Robinson
Version: 4.2.42

Sometimes Code Writer takes minutes to start on my Windows 11 PC.

It sticks for ages with a red window and the message "Preparing to reload previously open documents..."

Eventually it exits. On re-launching it starts OK.

What's the issue and how can I stop this happening?

Comments (3)

It seems to only happen when I attempt to open a .cron document by double-clicking.

Posted 10 months ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Matt,

That message comes up when it's starting to try and reload previously opened documents.  Perhaps something is preventing that from working in this particular scenario.  If that's the only message you see, it's probably something low-level like trying to enumerate the LocalSettings Containers that UWP gives us.  It's odd that it would hang for minutes though.  I would think that if there's a problem, it would exit immediately.  Sorry but I'm not sure what it could be.

Actipro Software Support

Hi.

Thanks for the prompt response!

I think the issue is the cron file I was opening is 10Mb in size and was not 'beautified', so it seems Code Writer is trying to beautify it on the fly while loading up recently opened documents. This process appears to be very slow.

Once beautified (and now 20Mb in size), Code Writer starts OK.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.