Could not load file or assembly 'CustomMarshalers.dll' while adding AssemblyReferences

SyntaxEditor .NET Languages Add-on for WPF Forum

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 3 months ago, which was before this thread was created.
Posted 2 months ago by BenjaminLopVic - France
Version: 24.1.2
Platform: .NET 4.8
Environment: Windows 11 (64-bit)

Hello,

Since I switched PCs (not much has changed, same OS, same brand...), I've encountered an issue when attempting to add an assembly to my Syntax Editor. I'm getting this exception:

Could not load file or assembly 'CustomMarshalers, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'

This is how I load my assembly :

project.AssemblyReferences.Add("My.Custom.Assembly");

"My.Custom.Assembly" is an internal assembly installed with NuGet Package Manager and referenced in PackageReferences. This assembly works well when I use it directly in the project. However, when I try to initialize my SyntaxEditor with it, I encounter this exception.

Any help on this would be awesome.

Thanks,

Benjamin.

Comments (4)

Posted 2 months ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello,

That CustomMarshalers assembly must be required for your assembly.  When the exception occurs, do you see any inner exceptions that might give more of a hint on why it's not loading?  Generally if there are inner exceptions available, the innermost one will give the best information about the true problem.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 2 months ago by BenjaminLopVic - France

Hello,

Unfortunately, there is no inner exception. However, I've attempted a few things:

• Added a reference to CustomMarshalers and checked the "local copy" option => No change.
  • Added "project.AssemblyReferences.Add("CustomMarshalers");" before my assembly => No error, but still encountering errors with My.Custom.Assembly.
  • Manually added "C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.8\CustomMarshalers.dll" to my bin folder => It worked!

Since CustomMarshalers is part of .NET 4.8, why do I have to copy it manually? I've added "mscorlib" to my AssemblyReferences, and I have no issues even if "mscorlib.dll" is not in my bin folder but in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.8" folder.

Thank you,
Benjamin.

Posted 2 months ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello,

The assembly load sequence for .NET Framework assemblies will follow these steps in order to try and locate the assembly:

• Check in the app domain (if you've referenced and loaded it in your VS project).
  • Try to load it from the GAC via a call to Assembly.ReflectionOnlyLoad.
  • Try to load via probing in the application bin folder.

We haven't worked with the CustomMarshalers assembly before.  If is part of the .NET Framework, which it appears to be, I would have expected the second step to be able to locate it, but that method call throws a not found exception.  

Digging in deeper, it looks like CustomMarshalers might only be in the 32-bit GAC and perhaps that is why it's not located, whereas other .NET Framework assemblies are mainly in a more common MSIL GAC.  That's the only difference I can detect between CustomMarshalers and other assemblies.  Perhaps Microsoft's Assembly.ReflectionOnlyLoad code doesn't look at the 32-bit GAC.

You might have to continue doing your last workaround to handle this scenario.

Actipro Software Support

Answer - Posted 2 months ago by BenjaminLopVic - France

Hello,

Thanks for your help.

After many tries, I think the problem comes from my application, but I don't know where. I created a new application with the same syntax editor and the same custom DLL, and it works well.

So, I added an after-build target in my csproj like this:

<Target Name="CopyCustomMarshalersDllAfterBuild" AfterTargets="PostBuildEvent">
	<Copy SourceFiles="C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.8\CustomMarshalers.dll" DestinationFolder="$(TargetDir)" />
</Target>

Thanks again.

Benjamin.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.