Lexical Parsing in a separate thread

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 16 years ago by Matt Whitfield
Version: 4.0.0272
Hi guys

I was wondering if implementing lexical parsing in a separate thread was something you guys would look at ever?

For example, if I paste an 80,000 line document into a syntax editor, it takes a reasonably long while to lexically parse that. Ideally, I would like the editor control to be usable after it had done enough parsing to show the 40-50 lines that would be visible on the display (which would be near-instant).

I don't have intimate knowledge of how the parsing works in SyntaxEditor, so i might be asking a completely ridiculous question - but it would certainly make a big difference to my application.

If you were to release version 4.1 tomorrow, and it only had this one extra feature, I would buy it...

Thanks, and apologies if this is a dumb question.

Comments (2)

Posted 16 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the suggestion. We are looking into improving the entire parsing system for v5.0. We've started having some discussions on parsing with customers off and on. If you'd like to participate, I believe there is a sticky post in this forum. talking about the brainstorming.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 16 years ago by Matt Whitfield
Well, i'd be honoured to join in the discussion really. But to be honest I really wasn't paying attention at university.

The sticky at the top had appeared to me, but I thought i probably didn't make the cut. If you'd like some input from me i'd be more than happy to participate.
The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.