Merging disparate info sources into SyntaxEditor

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 16 years ago by Derrick
Version: 4.0.0274
I am trying to use SyntaxEditor to build a binary viewer (that is, a viewer for the contents of an executable file or memory). I need to be able to show such things as

- address and/or offset (separate columns that can be toggled on or off)
- vertical separators between columns
- assembly language instruction and operands (already parsed, so view as text)
- pseudocode representation (auto-indented)
- annotations (like comments, labels, etc.)
- raw data (hex bytes) for non-code portions of the binary
- data cast as structures (which is an annotation of sorts)

I would think that the "user margin" would work for the address/offset, though I'm not sure how I would provide the content data (one large "dump" of info, or polled by the control). I can also use the "merged language" feature to intermix the assembly language and the pseudocode representations. However, the biggest issue I have is that I have several sources of information that need to be merged into the control, and I have not found any example or insight into how to do that from the sample code or help file.

This is also my first use of SyntaxEditor, so I apologize in advance if this is a totally novice question.

Cheers,
Derrick

Comments (1)

Posted 16 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Derrick,

Could you possibly put together a screenshot of how you'd like things to look and email that over? Perhaps we can give you some recommendations if SyntaxEditor will work for you.

SyntaxEditor really is for editing a stream of text characters. So if you are doing other things where you want to pull parts of that stream out, then things get tricky and it may not be possible.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.