VS 2005 / 2008 optional, but recommended?

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 16 years ago by Matt Wagner
On the download page for SyntaxEditor, the requirements say VS 2005 / 2008 is optional, but recommended. Can I ask, exactly what does that mean?

We're looking to purchase a quality code editor component that can be integrated with our own application, which we will be offering as a free download to the public. Considering the vast similarities to the VS editor, I can only assume this is like other editors, and requires the VS libraries to be installed on the user's computer?

We need a code editor that can be integrated in our own application, and offered as a free download without any crazy requirements to users (.NET framework is fine, obviously). Is SyntaxEditor going to work for us?

Thanks,
Matt

Comments (2)

Posted 16 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Matt,

That just means that for development purposes of your application, we recommend you use VS when writing your application. However end users don't require VS at all to use SyntaxEditor. Think of SyntaxEditor as a standalone control like the native WinForms TextBox or Button controls. All end users require is the .NET framework on their machine and they are good to go.

So yes, SyntaxEditor will absolutely work for you. SyntaxEditor is modeled after the run-time UI of the VS code editor, however it is completely written in C# by us and has no dependencies whatsoever on VS.

Hope that helps!

Actipro Software Support

Posted 16 years ago by Matt Wagner
Excellent, thanks! I'll have my Windows developer check out the demo, confirm everything, and I'll purchase right afterwards. The product looks excellent though, and thanks for the quality work!

Matt
The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.