Composite WPF Region Adapters

Docking/MDI for WPF Forum

Posted 16 years ago by Kavan Shaban
Version: 4.0.0457
Hi,

I am using your suite in conjuction with a project that is based on CompositeWPF (Prism).

I was curious to see if your team has created any control adapters for your docking, ribbon and navigation suites.

Thanks in advance,

Kavan

Comments (3)

Posted 16 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Sorry we haven't created any adapters for Prism. If you do some and would like to share the code, we'd love to see them and possibly share them with other customers. Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

Posted 16 years ago by Mike Strobel - New York, NY
I actually came here to make a similar post myself. I've been having some trouble using the WPF Studo docking system w/ Composite WPF (Prism).

The fist problem is that the standard SelectorRegionAdapter, when applied to a ToolWindowContainer, simply does not work properly. I forget the details, but it was pretty obvious at runtime. The problem stems from the fact that the standard SelectorRegionAdapter works by binding the ItemsSource property of the Selector to its view collection, and the ToolWindowContainer does not seem to handle this behavior. As a temporary workaround, I modified the SelectorRegionAdapter such that it directly operates on the Items collection property instead (source code is here).

My new problem is that when I use this modified SelectorRegionAdapter on a TabbedMdiContainer, the document tabs show up in the MDI container, but not in the Active Files list in the Switcher. They do not show up in the drop-down document list either. However, if I open several document tabs and then close one of them, the remaining documents now show up in the Switcher and the drop-down document list. If I then open more documents, the new documents will not show up in the switcher until I close another one; the drop-down list, on the other hand, is updated in real time after the first document was closed. Strange.

I think Composite WPF presents a great usage scenario for the WPF Studio docking system, so it would be great if steps were taken to ensure that they play nice together "out of the box". To that end, I have one last suggestion: it would be nice if the ItemsControls in the docking system (i.e. ToolWindowContainer) would automatically generate containers (i.e. ToolWindows) for any regular objects added to the Items collection. You could add properties like "TitleMemberPath" to ToolWindowContainer to specify default bindings for the generated ToolWindow's properties like "Title".

Aside from my initial hiccups with the region adapter and my continued documents/switcher problem, I'm happy to say that the docking system has been working quite nicely in WPF Studio :). It's far more flexible than the other docking solutions I've used. Kudos.

Mike

[Modified at 08/26/2008 11:13 AM]
Posted 13 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Just FYI, we now include an official Prism adapter for Docking & MDI. In addition, the source code for the adapter can be found at: http://actipro.codeplex.com

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.