Help with SemanticParser

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 16 years ago by Gil Milow
Version: 4.0.0274
I have been trying to create my own JavaScript implementation based on the Simple Language AddOn. The reason I am not using the Dynamic JS implementation that comes with the product is that I want to have the "red wavy lines" show up for bad syntax.

That said, I am having some trouble wrapping my head around the complexity of creating a Semantic language using the Grammar.xml.

My problem right now is that I am trying to allow simple function calls. For example:
myFunction()
I am trying to modify the NonTerminal "Statement" to support these function calls. What I thought I would do add a "FunctionAccessExpression" to "Statement". But since the Assignment statement already contains a reference to "Expression" the XML won't compile.

Can you guide me down the proper path for doing something like this?

Thanks!
Gil

Comments (1)

Posted 16 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Gil,

Yes it sounds like you have a case of left recursion here. Generally there are two things you can do to work around these issues.

First, do some token lookahead via a peek operation to try and figure out if the expression is a start of an assignment or a function call. Then call the appropriate one.

Alternatively consume the common Expression like this:
"Expression"
(
'Equals'
...code for assignment continuation here...
)
| (
'OpenParenthesis'
...code for function call here...
)

Hope that helps.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.