Displaying special characters in digital gauges

Gauge for WPF Forum

Posted 15 years ago by D
I've been trying to put data into a digital gauge, but I notice that special characters are displaying as the negative (-) sign instead of the designated character. For example, if I have an input value of "wo$r!d", the digital gauge displays it as "wo-r-d". If I input a value of "-20", it displays as "-20", but inputting "+20" shows "-20" as well. I understand that the digital gauge value is of type object and either gets interpretted as a double or a string depending on what value was used. However, it appears that only text letters are fully accepted as the "as-is" string values. Can you tell me what might be happening here?

Edit: I'll add that my character type is set to "Segment7Normal", which I understand is not capable of displaying some characters. However, decimals are represented here, and could any input for at least some special characters be added? Thank you.

[Modified at 11/18/2008 08:45 AM]

[Modified at 11/18/2008 10:30 AM]

Comments (2)

Posted 15 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
As you said, only certain characters can be displayed when using 7-segments. We could add special support for + to the 7-segment display modes, but things like $ and ! would not really fit in there. You may want to try one of the newer 5-by-7 matrix options, if you need a larger range of characters.

I've added an item to our TODO list about adding support for +, though.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 15 years ago by D
Thank you. I realized later that the $ might be a bad example, but I could see how characters like brackets and such might be used. Obviously, there are some limitations to what you can do with the 7-segment character set...it just clicked with me later since that's the look I've been going for.
The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.