Exception with layout deserialization

Docking/MDI for WPF Forum

Posted 15 years ago by Jason
Version: 4.5.0482
Environment: Windows XP (32-bit)
I get the following exception when deserializing the window layout (using DockSiteLayoutSerializer): "Cannot set Owner property to a Window that has not been shown previously."

This occurred after I dragged a tool window off screen (onto a second monitor). Otherwise, serializing/deserializing the layout worked fine.

I am on WPF Studio version 4.5.470.0. Please let me know if this issue was fixed in the latest release - I can't seem to find a list of fixes per release.

Incidentally, if the user saves a layout that has windows on a second monitor, closes the application, undocks their laptop (so they no longer have a second monitor), and restarts the application, will the layout deserialization do something intelligent with the off screen windows? I would expect those windows to be automatically re-docked.

Comments (4)

Posted 15 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Jason,

Could you either tell us exact steps to repro it with one of our existing samples, or alternatively email over a simple sample project that shows the exception occurring? Note that our main Features demo has a Layout document tab that allows you to save/load layouts. So if you could repro it in that demo by simply dragging things around and using those buttons that would be easiest.

In the Sample Browser under each product we have a detailed Release History. You can view these in the Live XBAP demo on our site too so that you don't need to download and install a new version to see them.

We didn't have the snap to screen feature in yet, however that is ready now for the next maintenance release.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 15 years ago by Jason
Your live samples do not allow dragging off screen, so I cannot reproduce it there. In a Windows application you can drag the tool windows to a second monitor. As soon as this occurs and the layout is saved, I receive the exception noted when loading the layout. In method DockSiteLayoutSerializer.LoadFromString(xml, docksite).

I will try to send you a sample but it might be a few weeks as this is not a priority for me.
Posted 15 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Ok, we did try it with a second monitor and didn't have a problem. So maybe grab build 483 once it's released and see if it still happens for you. If you had 470 then it may have been resolved since then already.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 14 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Jason,

We believe we have been able to reproduce this issue and have added a fix for the next maintenance release.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 1 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.