Posted 13 years ago by Mark Vrankovich
Hi there

When I programmatically set the Opacity property on my main form (that contains a SyntaxEditor) to anything but 1.0 (or 100%) the SyntaxEditor goes transparent, but it stops functioning correctly: the cursor disapears, it draws some text, but not all, etc...

However it seems to be OK if I set my main form to say 50% Opacity in the VS2008 properties editor and then run my application. It only seems to be a problem when setting the Opacity programmatically.

I am using the lastest version of SyntaxEditor for WinForms.
What can I do to get this working?

Comments (4)

In addendum:

If I programmatically set the containing form's Opacity and then create a SyntaxEditor, then it works fine.

It seems only to be a problem when changing Opacity on an existing SyntaxEditor.

Also if I have a Syntax editor created after the forms Opacity has been set,
then I programmatically move the main form's Opacity from say 40% from 60% Opacity - then all is well.
But if I programmatically move the main forms Opcaity from 40% to 100%, then to 99%, and then to say 90% - the problem then occurs with this new SyntaxEditor. Also, interestingly, on the move from 100% to 99% the SyntaxEditor goes completely black (this might be the trigger of the problem, because it happens with an existing SyntaxEditor too).

I am using Windows XP with all the latest service packs.
Posted 13 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Mark,

I did a test of setting it at run-time after the window was displayed and it worked fine for me. I tested with Vista and Aero enabled, and also with it disabled.

If there is a problem in XP then it may be an issue with our GDI drawing code (we use Windows APIs) and how Windows updates that based on the Opacity. The only thing I could suggest is calling this code to see if it helps:
editor.ResetDoubleBufferCanvas(true);

That will reset the double buffer, which may help with your issue.

Actipro Software Support

Hi There

Thanks, that solved it nicely.

I had tried .Refresh() but not .ResetDoubleBufferCanvas()
editor.ResetDoubleBufferCanvas(true)
The latest build of this product (v21.1.0) was released 13 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.