Preventing flicker effect when populating propertygrid

Grids for WPF Forum

Posted 15 years ago by RS
Version: 4.5.0485
Is there a technique that I can use to prevent the "flicker" effect when the propertygrid is being populated? You can see this effect when moving between the assembly nodes in your Assembly Browser Property Grid Demo.

I'm guessing this is something to do with the way the categories are added and then the child items. For large lists this is really visually distracting when moving in a list of items of the same type.

RS

Comments (2)

Posted 15 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Unfortunately, there isn't one spot where we can definitively say that all the nodes have been loaded. The PropertyGrid derives from TreeView, and therefore knows when it's direct children are loaded. But the PropertyGrid doesn't really know when it's children's children are being loaded (as they are loaded on expansion). This makes it very difficult to provide a "Loading" visual (or even capture the previous contents into an image until new content is loaded).

You can disable the auto expansion of categories, by setting the PropertyGrid.AreCategoriesAutoExpanded property to false.

Additionally, can try disabling the "expansion animation" using an implicit Style in your PropertyGrid definition, like so:
<propgrid:PropertyGrid.Resources>
   <Style TargetType="{x:Type propgrid:PropertyGridDataAccessorItem}">
      <Setter Property="shared:AnimatedExpanderDecorator.CollapseDuration" Value="0" />
      <Setter Property="shared:AnimatedExpanderDecorator.ExpandDuration" Value="0" />
   </Style>
</propgrid:PropertyGrid.Resources>

Actipro Software Support

Posted 15 years ago by RS
I think that given that the control specifically supports auto expansion of categories it would be really nice to see the control handle this - it would speed up the perception of slow update performance too.

RS

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.