Custom data type for property with sub-properties

Grids for WPF Forum

Posted 15 years ago by KC
Version: 4.5.0485
I have a structure in place for a custom type that i am assigning a custom editor for in the property grid. This is all dynamically created at runtime. Mechanically it is working and the correct editor popups for the data type. But, I can't seem to get the property grid to recognize the data type and display it as a collection of items and have the plus sign available to expand and collapse the property. I have tried arraylist, sortedlist, and other collection types.

Can you suggest what I may be doing wrong, or how to have a "list" with all the values displayed as a hierarchy (treeview style)?

Comments (4)

Posted 15 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
The current version of the PropertyGrid does not have default support for lists or arrays. We do have support for ICustomTypeDescriptor, which you could implement on your custom type to provide access to the underlying items.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 14 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hello,

We've added support for expanding collections or editing collections inline to the PropertyGrid. This will be included in the 2010.1 release.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 14 years ago by Sarah
Hi,

I am using WPF Studio Version 10.1.0522 and would like to expand and edit a collection in the property grid.

I have set the CollectionDisplayMode to CollectionDisplayMode.EditableInline and it displays and expands a small collection of small double arrays just fine (2 x 10). However, when I try to use the control on a collection of large double arrays, say 2x500 doubles it runs very slowly.

How can I use the property grid collection display with large collections?

Many thanks.

[Modified at 06/24/2010 08:08 AM]

[Modified at 06/24/2010 09:38 AM]
Posted 14 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Sarah,

The PropertyGrid performance is something that we are aware of and will be looking into. After we implement some of our performance enhancement ideas, the PropertyGrid may be able to display that many items in a reasonable amount of time. But displaying a collection of 500 entries in the PropertyGrid like that probably isn't the best UI design. With that many entries it starts to become usuable, as finding the item to remove/edit can be a pain.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 0 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.