Save and Restore Layout to XML

Docking/MDI for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 15 years ago by Rodelco
Since the UIStudio control is brand new to me, I was wondering if there is a better way for me to use the documentation or help files. I was experimenting with the "SaveToolWindowLayoutToFile" and "LoadToolWindowLayoutFromFile" methods of the Dock Control, and could not get it to work. I looked at the TestApplication-VB.VS2008 example, and could not see a difference. After several hours of frustrating trial and error, I figured out that the example had the "Key" property set for each of the tool windows. Once I did that, it worked great.

How was I supposed to know that? Is that documented somewhere? I would just like to know what approach I should take in the future to avoid these kinds of issues.

Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

Comments (3)

Posted 15 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Rodelco,

Sorry you had some trouble. I believe the Tool Window Layouts topic talks a little bit about needing to have the Key match up when loading back up, in order for the layout data to be matched to tool windows that are already loaded in the DockManager.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 15 years ago by Rodelco
Thanks for answering. I guess that is my inexperience showing. I didn't understand what "keys" was referring to in the documentation. Now, I realize it is the "Key" property of the Tool Window.

Thanks again.
Posted 15 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Upon reading it, we probably should make it clearer.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.