Extra Features using Dynamic Language definition

SyntaxEditor .NET Languages Add-on for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 15 years ago by Nassim Farhat
Hello ActiPro team,

This is the 1st time I use this control and browsing around your documentation, I could understand that using Dynamic Language definition is the way to go for a beginner like myself, yet, the language I am trying to define is farely simple but I will need to add as much "VS" features as possible:

Auto-Replace
Code Block Selection
Code Formatting
Example Text
Error Wave Lines
Breakpoints (debug mode)
Line by Line debug mode
IntelliPrompt Code Snippets
IntelliPrompt Member List / Complete Word
IntelliPrompt Parameter Info
IntelliPrompt Quick Info
Line Commenting
Smart Indent
String Properties
Text Statistics
Word Breaking

question1: I am under the impression that Dynamic Languages inherits from DynamicSyntaxLanguage and not SyntaxLanguage. SO, can I still use Dynamic Language definition to accomplish all the features I want.

question2:
What is the extend of what I can do using the SyntaxEditor's Dynamic Language definition, until what point should I start think of using the .NET Languages Add-on (which I did not purchase and not sure if i can purchase).

Thank you
Nassim

[Modified at 04/22/2009 01:56 PM]

[Modified at 04/22/2009 02:44 PM]

Comments (1)

Posted 15 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Nassim,

Yes, everything you can do with a more low level language you can do with a dynamic language. Really the dynamic language is only different in that it uses our pattern-based lexical parser instead of a programmatic one.

In the newer object model we're building for our WPF SyntaxEditor, we have better defined this. In that model, we have an ISyntaxLanguage interface and you assign it an ILexicalParser. One built-in implementation of ILexicalParser is the dynamic lexical parser. So it is a bit clearer that the term "dyanmic" really only affects the lexical parser implementation.

But anyway, back on SyntaxEditor 4.0, DynamicSyntaxLanguage inherits SyntaxLanguage. There is no problem implementing any features on DynamicSyntaxLanguage. In fact the Web Languages Add-on's XML language is a dynamic language.

The free C#/VB dynamic languages will highlight and outline code. However the .NET add-on provides much more robust language implementations that run faster, have better outlining, text statistics, parse your document into an AST, provide automated IntelliPrompt and much more. So it's up to you whether you wish to get that add-on for C#/VB or not.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.